Bug Spray

• 7 Replies

rikknikk

Bug Spray
« on: April 30, 2010, 06:38 »
I went to buy a spray with pyrethroid for my broad beans but could not find one that had that on the packaging, the shops sell lots of sprays that seem to cover all sort of bugs for veg, are these good to use?

paintedlady

Re: Bug Spray
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:01 »
most "bug" problems are aphids - a dilute solution of washing up liquid sprayed on them will be fine and not pose a threat to bees visiting the flowers and ladybirds feeding off the aphids  ;)  Indiscriminate bug spray can be very harmful to all insects including the beneficial ones.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:03 »
Picking of the soft top growth of broad beans usually removes all the blackfly, if that's what the problem is :)

Py spray is one brand usually stocked in garden centres
link

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:13 »
I'm not entirely sure about the legality of home-made insecticides but if you find yourself washing out your sprayer with a teaspoon of washing up liquid in a litre of water and inadvertently forget to empty it out and then absent-mindedly find yourself spraying your aphid-infested plants you will find that it really does work!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rikknikk

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 17:15 »
Thanks for all your feedbback, I will try the washing up liquid then!

boosh

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 07:13 »
most "bug" problems are aphids - a dilute solution of washing up liquid sprayed on them will be fine and not pose a threat to bees visiting the flowers and ladybirds feeding off the aphids  ;)  Indiscriminate bug spray can be very harmful to all insects including the beneficial ones.
Would the soapy spray work against cabbage white caterpillars ?

zazen999

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 08:04 »

If only!

But add some chilli and garlic whizzed into water, soaked overnight and strained into the same sprayer and you'll be onto a winner.

ALL the old boys on my lottie now do this, after the first year when they looked on in sympathy at me and all my cabbage whites disappeared overnight.

boosh

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:42 »

If only!

But add some chilli and garlic whizzed into water, soaked overnight and strained into the same sprayer and you'll be onto a winner.

ALL the old boys on my lottie now do this, after the first year when they looked on in sympathy at me and all my cabbage whites disappeared overnight.
I will give this a go, Thank you

xx
Blackfly - to spray or not to spray?

Started by gazza975526570 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 11:14
by compostqueen
xx
Bug spray ... is it really that bad ?

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 17, 2018, 13:19
by al78
xx
To spray or not to spray ?

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2015, 00:40
by Goneterseed
xx
What to spray with?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 14, 2007, 17:00
by shaun

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 41 queries.