handling equipment

• 6 Replies

oborne27

handling equipment
« on: November 24, 2009, 21:48 »
hi im doing an animal management course at an agricultural college in pulborough but i have an asignment on chickens and how to restrain them. the merit part asks for the handling equipment used on chickens and i cant think of any apart from your hands/body when you pick them up. if anyone can think of any please let me know.
thanks
xxx 

Fredjones

• Once a blue Always a blue in Runcorn, Cheshire
    • Fred`s web pages
Re: handling equipment
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 22:35 »
Hi I am new to keeping chickens and always pick mine up with both hands on the wings and place the bird under my arm, this stops wings flapping and gives you a free hand.
To try and answer you question about handling equipment you could use a sack, pillow case or some sort of cloth bag, cut a hole big enough for the chickens head, catch bird and place its head through hole tie the open end so bird cannot flap its wings or scratch with its legs.
You will proberbly get better idears off other chicken keepers but this is a start------Fred
2 x Warrens, 5 x ex batts, 3 x Daughters, 5 x grandsons, 1 x granddaughter, 1 x wife, this is enough for 1 x man

raeburg

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 23:00 »
They are more docile and easier to handle once it has got dark - much simpler to pick one up when it's roosting than chasing and grabbing at one!

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 09:17 »
Might there be equipment used commercially that is being looked for in your assignment?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

treacleminer

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:18 »
I have heard of some people using a net to catch them,  otherwise does the use of bribes to get them to come to you (mealworms etc) count as equipment?

grumpydad

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 11:22 »
a pillowcase with a hole in is good to stop them flapping to give medication, or wrap them in a towell.
we weigh ours by putting them in a full pillowcase.
always easier to catch them when it has gone dark, they can be very quick at times, and flap as well which can be a problem using a net with their wings

oborne27

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 21:39 »
Hi I am new to keeping chickens and always pick mine up with both hands on the wings and place the bird under my arm, this stops wings flapping and gives you a free hand.
To try and answer you question about handling equipment you could use a sack, pillow case or some sort of cloth bag, cut a hole big enough for the chickens head, catch bird and place its head through hole tie the open end so bird cannot flap its wings or scratch with its legs.
You will proberbly get better idears off other chicken keepers but this is a start------Fred
thanks for the information, its a great help with my assignment.

xx
Handling Cockerels

Started by gsc on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 08:58
by gsc
xx
HANDLING HENS

Started by joyce c on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 16:11
by janeheritage
xx
Handling new birds

Started by JJM on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 12:01
by ANHBUC
xx
Handling chickens

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 18:39
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 38 queries.