Are there any chicken friendly lawn feeding/weed & moss killing treatments?

• 11 Replies

SamT

I would like to give our lawn a feeding and weed killing treatment but I notice most of them say to keep away from pets, our chickens come out every day and eat a lot of grass, are they any effective ones I can use that wont hurt the chickens?  If I was to use one of the standard ones and kept the chickens off it how long before I could let them eat the grass again?

Thanks

Mum2mj

I've been using my chickens to weed & feed my lawn!  :D

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Like Mum says.....the chickens  :D. I have read somewhere, someone putting maggots on the mossy patches as it encouraged the chooks to scrab like mad at the moss to get every last one  :D

SamT

Its mainly dandelions that we are having a problem in the lawn with, no moss luckily but they seem to have appeared in large numbers this year so want to keep them down.  For some reason they seem to eat everything but dandelion leaves. 

Helenaj

Its mainly dandelions that we are having a problem in the lawn with, no moss luckily but they seem to have appeared in large numbers this year so want to keep them down.  For some reason they seem to eat everything but dandelion leaves.

That's really  odd - mine will kill for a dandelion leaf! They won't usually eat the flowers but i have never had a problem with the leaf part of the plant

Geo

• Experienced Member
My lot love dandelion leaves. I used to stop on the way home from work at night and fill a large bag.
there are now none left in that area :lol: now buying cabbages

Geo

• Experienced Member

I put a moss / weed killer and feed down last year and the wild birds were eating it. I would not like to risk the hens feeding on it though.

compostqueen

The chickens will deal with all your moss!!!!! they will scratch it all up for you. You just have to collect it and green bin it. I've tried composting the darned stuff but it will take years, if ever, to rot down. I gave up on it and I'm a dogged composter  :D 

When we moved to our current house the lawn was all moss. The chickens got to work straight away. it looked like an explosion in a mattress factory within minutes.  They eat the weeds, manuring the grass as they go. Give them a dust bath to avoid them digging holes in your green sward  :)  My husband was appalled when I got hens but when he was viewing the lawn from the bedroom window he was a changed man. The difference in the section where the hens had been was a vast improvement on the bit they hadn't been let loose on.  After that he was a confirmed hen fan. They green the lawn up no end. Their scratching and removing of moss and weeds lets the air get in. Their poo manures the grass and it transforms it. All for free and no use of chemicals. 

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 10:22 by Norfolkgrey »

compostqueen

They eat the leaves greedily but leave the flowers. The bees love dandelion flowers. Put the weed killer away. You can take out the flower with a sharp knife if you're so keen on a pristine lawn.  My neighbour mows her lawn everyday then asks me for my dandelions for her tortoise and rabbits  :nowink:  She knows mine will be free from pesticide  :D

barley

if it says keep away from pets it says it for a reason  ;)

you can get a tool to remove dandelions

compostqueen

Speaking of dandelions.  My family were garden watching yesterday at tea and saw a load of goldfinch on the seed heads. I was so chuffed at my tardiness. Finch food  :D 

xx
Weed and feed lawn treatments

Started by sylviaM on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 22:41
by Lindeggs
xx
Chicken-friendly weed and feed

Started by sjsailing on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 14:33
by kensington chicks
xx
Chicken Friendly Plants

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 13:35
by EJCTM
xx
chicken killing her chicks

Started by blodwen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 12:35
by Kym503

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 38 queries.