greenhouse glass help

• 4 Replies

pvc

greenhouse glass help
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:51 »
hi could anyone please help I lost my large greenhouse to storm doris but managed to save my smaller 4 x 6 greenhouse on my allotment .iam missing various pieces of glass like the two apex pieces and  the corner sections, I have been on the internet to get a instruction manual could anyone please if you have any ideas how to how I would go about measuring etc thanks any replies would grateful

RichardA

Re: greenhouse glass help
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:19 »
I am sure someone will be able to help with this but if all else fails cut a piece of cardboard, by trial and error if necessary to fit each odd shaped area and then count up how many needed, take to a glass supplier/DIY shop and I am sure they will work it out. Greenhouse glass is usually cheaper than window glass.Lots of people do that just to avoid making a mistake.
R

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 17:09 »
I used a tape measure to measure the main dimensions of the missing pieces of glass, bearing in mind that it's best to err a few millimetres under rather than over.

You only need the width at the bottom and the maximum height of triangular pieces for the glazier to cut to the right size.

If your greenhouse is like mine you may have an irregularly shaped piece - the bottom edge is the full width of a standard greenhouse pane (24"/610mm) so you only need to measure a) and b):

By all means make templates - if you like doing puzzles it could be worth your while working out the most economical way of cutting your replacements from as few sheets of glass as possible given that you have a greater incentive to be economical than the glazier does!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jezza

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 22:32 »
hi if the glass is 18 inch by 9 by 2 inch I might have some cut pieces I have glass from 2 scrapped 10 foot by 16  greenhouses jezza

pvc

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 22:57 »
thank you for the replies I think those ideas will really help my greenhouse is only 4 x 6ft I completely lost my bigger 6 x 8 thanks for the offer but I think a trip to my local glaziers is needed with measurements and cardboard cut outs

xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by cc on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2017, 11:19
by cc
xx
greenhouse glass

Started by adal on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 14:37
by Livinhope
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 00:17
by Dantheman
xx
greenhouse glass

Started by smudger85 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 19:21
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.