Dog MOT

• 15 Replies

Lardman

Dog MOT
« on: May 16, 2014, 15:31 »
Does your vet offer a year health check up?

Just popped into the vet to pick up Max's stronghold (ouch my wallet hurts),  I also asked to book him in for an MOT. The lady on reception looked at me as if I was out of my tree  :nowink:

I explain I wanted him just to have a general check-up but this didn't seem to help  :wacko: I had to give her a specific condition to book a 'consultation'.  :(

Eblana

Re: Dog MOT
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 16:28 »
Ours sends us an annual reminder for a visit for injection boosters, flea and worm treatment.  He gives the dog a once over when they are there.

evie2

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 17:50 »
Ours offers 6 monthly check ups.  I think it's a great idea and not just because problems can be caught early, I think it's a good way of introducing pets to the smell of the place.  We always take a well chum with us, I'm sure some of the vets are unimpressed but it works for us and our pets.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 10:05 »
Ours are MOT at their vaccinations.

I called it their MOT in the vet's, lady thought I was nuts.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:51 »
I called it their MOT in the vet's, lady thought I was nuts.

:) Glad it's not just me then..  Mind you I don't think he'd need one if they actually managed to cure his skin problems  :(

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 14:39 »
Back from his MOT £120 lighter and I have some soothe shampoo and a suggestion it might just be an allergy rather than anything else  :(  I had them take a sample to check for mange as I want a definitive answer on that.  These are supposed to be the best vets in the area but Im fast losing any confidence in them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 20:06 »
ours have an annual mot when they have their boosters, but Rosie has a few problems so she has lots of check ups during the year. Earlier this year she had scrapes sent off to check for mange, bacterial infections, ringworm, lice, mites, thyroid deficiency and also checked for seasonal alopecia because she was losing hair in big patches. It turns out she is moulting in a strange way but because her skin is black it made it look even worse. Her fur is slowly growing back but it is slightly darker and more coarse.
photo (38).JPG
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 13:09 »
That's a lot of tests  :ohmy: looking at the receipt the mange one cost me £75.  >:(  It's not so much fur falling out - he does have a bald, bubbly patch on top of his head (that's what concerns me most), there's also what looks like eczema on the inside of his elbows and knees which doesn't seem to be seasonal.  The stronghold knocks it back but never clears it up fully,  I can tell it irritates his as he over grooms them.  :(

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 19:57 »
if it's exzema try E45 cream  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 09:05 »
I have a friend whose cat gets skin problems year round that look like eczema.  The vet was similarly uphelpful - might be eczema, might be allergies, might be .............  all of course needing creams and lotions that cost a fortune

She now cuts open an evening primrose oil capsule and adds it to the cat's food each day.  Really does seem to be helping.  She uses the Seven Seas one with the added vitamin E  :)

Lardman

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 19:36 »
Well the vet has just called with his blood test results - negative for mange  :D which is good. Although it does beg the question what else it could be, E45 cream and primrose oil going on the shopping list and I'll change his food again.

I did try and share the good news with him but he didn't seem overly interested ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 06:51 »
I did try and share the good news with him but he didn't seem overly interested ::)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well I am pleased to hear it is not mange, even if Max is indifferent to the news  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 07:20 »
Well the vet has just called with his blood test results - negative for mange  :D which is good. Although it does beg the question what else it could be, E45 cream and primrose oil going on the shopping list and I'll change his food again.

Was it dinner time perchance? :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 21:21 »
Was it dinner time perchance? :lol:

Nearly - it was his second favourite time of day, nap time...  ::)  Nap time can only be interrupted by slicing the Sunday roast joint or by sitting on the sofa, when nap time becomes nap on your lap time.  :D
I_R_Sleepin.jpg

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 08:43 »
typical bull breed, eat and sleep feature very highly on their agenda.
Staffies are very prone to allergies so if the E45 cream doesn't help then try piriton (you may need to ask your vet what dosage he needs and it must be piriton or one with the same ingredients) but most staffs have between 1/2 - 1 tablet twice a day.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.