unpleasant dog owner - update

• 20 Replies

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
unpleasant dog owner - update
« on: January 31, 2014, 14:09 »
... whose dog is off the lead and is harassing my dog (who is on the lead) seem to think that my dog is the problem?  I tend to keep my dog on a short lead at the moment as she is coming into season and doesn't have good recall - yet a man who couldn't control his dog seems to think I was being irresponsible?!   This also happened to me a few years ago when I was walking a dog for a friend - being a recent rescue we weren't sure of his recall so again I had him on a short lead and got a mouthful from a man whose dog wouldn't leave poor Monty alone.

I really don't understand this attitude but fortunately it seems to be a minority of dog owners?  Apologies for the rant but it really spoils a good walk as I get so cross   :mad:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: unpleasant dog owner - update
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 14:57 »
Ah yes, I have met them. And also the 'expert' who will tell you that the dogs would behave better if allowed to interract off the lead.

I used to be a home/pet sitter so often had dogs out who I did not know, and unless I had it in writing that I should let the dog/s off the lead they stayed on. But I was forever getting advice or, as you say, blamed for other people's dogs misbehaving.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 15:42 »
I'm afraid they're usually morons, Elvira, and we treat them as such!

We always have our Jack Russell on a lead, as she'd go for anything if she had half a chance, she's so protective of us!

She doesn't mind bigger dogs, like placid old labradors etc, but anything small and violent, ooooooh nooo...!

I always ignore the sort of people Tosca mentions also, as they really join the limited-brain-cell brigade as well!

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 17:14 »
It is very annoying isn't it. I've walked with my sister & her bullies, they were always on the lead & always moved out of the way when anyone/dog came near,as they were not the best behaved & had no recall. People would insist on letting their dogs sniff round & rush at them & then said you shouldn't be allowed those dogs when they eventually had a snap. They were just showing in the only way they had that it wasn't acceptable.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

barley

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 20:15 »
I have my dogs off lead as they are friendly , but dogs will always want to have a nosy sniff of each other  :)
so my rule is if other dog coming towards us is off lead I leave mine off to sniff, wag , play

but if owner has their dog on lead coming towards us I put mine on leads out of curtosy to the other owner

simple really but there are some really stupid dog owners out there  :nowink:

maybe shout out as their dog approaches ,can you please recall your dog and put it on its lead , might fall on deaf ears but might embarrass them into responsible dog owner behaviour

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 20:19 »
We have numpties like those round here too.   :(  I hate to say it but it's normally owners of small, pamper mutts thinking it's cute their yappy little ferret wants to start a fight. :mad:

Max hates ill-mannered, yappy dogs but you can imagine who would get blamed if he ate one even though I always keep him on lead.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 22:30 »
In the event of any fight breaking out if your dog is on a lead then you are in the right.
My Rosie is friendly to all people and dogs unless they bark at her or come bounding up to her so she is always on a lead and I expect people to recall their dogs when we get close to each other.
Staffies are softer than you think.

blackberryjam

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:47 »
I have my dogs off lead as they are friendly , but dogs will always want to have a nosy sniff of each other  :)
so my rule is if other dog coming towards us is off lead I leave mine off to sniff, wag , play

but if owner has their dog on lead coming towards us I put mine on leads out of curtosy to the other owner

simple really but there are some really stupid dog owners out there  :nowink:

maybe shout out as their dog approaches ,can you please recall your dog and put it on its lead , might fall on deaf ears but might embarrass them into responsible dog owner behaviour

Unfortunately there are alot of irresponsible dog owners out there, with had few attacks around here , one on a guide dog , a husky and a spaniel ,the guide dog you may of read about in the news paper the beautiful husky I've not seen for a long time, the spaniel is now to scared to leave the house,, that's just the ones I know about. All attacked buy the same breed of dog.
Our Max was happily playing ball over the park when out of nowhere a snarling growling dog appears and chases him all around the park , after about 10min the owner eventually arrived ,no apology just a smug look on his face, well that did it the air above the chilterns turned blue.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 13:07 »
Thanks all - that makes me feel a bit less cross  :)

Also one positive thought - it does make me wonder why I think my dog has bad recall compared to his!!  :D

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:21 »
My border terrier is always on a lead as he's not keen on boxers, alsations etc. If a dog comes running over I'll try and get between my dog and theirs... but if he does have a snap it's my fault... according to the other dog owners, yeh right!

I read something about yellow ribbons once... tying one to your dog's lead to show that they aren't 'sociable' and people should keep their dogs out of the way. No-one I know has ever heard of it so don't know how effective it would be.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 16:38 »
We used to have the same problem when we had our huskies. They were always on the lead, and the worst problems seemed to come from small, spoilt, "yappy" dogs off lead, who would run up to ours, jumping around and yapping, with their stupid owners saying things like "Oooooooh, isn't he/she brave", referring, of course, to their own pampered, out of control dog. No, they're not brave, and you, sir or madam, are pathetic, inconsiderate and rude!  Given that our male husky had a tendency to lift his leg and pee on things that irritated him for no good reason, they were fortunate not to be taking a very wet excuse for a dog home with them.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 17:38 »
Diddy - I saw a leaflet about the yellow ribbon/lead scheme at the vets and have seen a few owners using them but as you say I am not sure whether that many people know about it.  But people do tend to ask if she is ok to be approached by their dog when they see she is on the lead.

The thing is my dog really likes other dogs, always wants to make friends and doesn't have a problem being on the lead when other dogs aren't.  The issue is where the other dog is allowed to sniff to the extent of harassing her and you really can't get them away.  She tries to sit down (ears back) and they still push to the extent of bullying her - it is usually larger dogs (particularly labradors and springers when they aren't properly controlled) so she is really pushed around.  She has only ever snapped once which was the other day - most responsible owners get their dog away/on a lead as soon as they see what is happening but in that case the owner wouldn't (couldn't) control his springer so she snapped. 

Fortunately I haven't seen the springer or its owner since so our walks have been good - apart from a horse poo eating incident yesterday egged on by a couple of dalmations    ::)  Norty step all round after that...

diospyros

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 19:06 »
Why on earth yellow ribbons, you might think they were waiting for someone to come home... horse owners put a red ribbon on the tail if their horse kicks, so that colour would seem to be a better choice?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 07:18 »
this link will answer some of your questions about yellow dog ribbons and bandanas:-

http://www.yellowdoguk.co.uk/

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 15:27 »
Just don't talk to me about horse poo... almost strangled wee Brodie the oyher day trying to drag him away froma fresh pile...  :D

xx
Ive been a terrible dog owner

Started by boosmummy on Pets without Feathers

27 Replies
Last post November 20, 2011, 18:36
by boosmummy
xx
Kia update

Started by Hawkins on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 17:01
by Foxy
xx
Pony update :)

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 15:22
by Casey76
xx
Splash update

Started by tosca100 on Pets without Feathers

24 Replies
Last post February 06, 2015, 22:15
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 39 queries.