my male ducks aren't getting along

• 4 Replies

gayleshort

my male ducks aren't getting along
« on: May 11, 2011, 19:48 »
I have 2 Cherry Valley male ducks (suppose to have been females!), They live with 4 Warren chickens and until this last month everyone got on fine. Then 1 of the ducks has starting picking on the other duck to the point where his feathers are looking very tatty, he doesn't fight back or anything but just tries to get away from him. Most of the time they are fine but when the fighting starts he goes on for a while, and to the point where the other duck can't get to the water. We are in the process of moving so need to build a new run, is it ok to separate them with mesh so they can still see each other and talk but no fighting would occur.  :unsure:

Sassy

Re: my male ducks aren't getting along
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:40 »
I am assuming they are only young. Therefore their testosterone is maturing!! I would suggest getting a few girls or just a couple of girls and rehoming a drake. There is a good chance they will start to become amorous with the hens!! :blink:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 21:45 »
Yep Sassy has nailed it there. Re home one and get some girls. Life will be lovely for all then.

Good luck.

Orchardlady

gayleshort

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 21:47 »
I was afraid that would happen, they are both coming up to a year and have been together for 9 mths. I have separated them for the moment to help fatten up the bullied one and to allow his feathers to smooth out. What is the best way of re-homing one of the drakes and introducing a couple females. Any advice would be very grateful :( :unsure:

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 10:32 »
Re-homing depends on what is available in your area or you could try to offer him free on this site (in the relevant part). However, as he is a meat duck you would need to be clear as to what you expect of a new home!!

Introducing new stock to ducks is usually a non-event they are not like chickens who have to establish a pecking order and can get aggressive.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

xx
Male or Female Ducks?? And one or two other questions!

Started by mollie15 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 19:21
by Kate and her Ducks
clip
Aren't they funny

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 19, 2017, 21:41
by danfinn1
xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
Help! My chickens aren't drinking

Started by EggBound on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 20:52
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 38 queries.