starting an allotment

• 6 Replies

supermaman

starting an allotment
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:51 »
I've always wanted to have an allotment, grow my own fruits and vegetables and that time has come!! I have just come at the top of the waiting list for my local allotments so I can have my own as of today!!
But I realise the time of year is no longer for planting seeds and i will not get a crop of my own produce this year so I was just wondering if someone out knows what i'm supposed to do with the grounds to get them ready for next planting season?
thanks  :D

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
starting an allotment
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01 »
I think you're probably better spending the time clearing any weeds from the plot and digging in manure and compost if you can get it.

However it's not too late to plant and you can still sow things like lettuce, dwarf beans, turnips, first early potatoes and other quick maturing crops. You can also buy plug plants which save you the time of sowing seeds and growing them on - things like cabbage, psb, caulis etc. I'm going to be planting my purple sprouting broccoli this week which I had sown in June.  In the autumn you can start to think about planting garlic and overwintering onions/shallots and you might want to think about fruit bushes.

All in all there is actually quite a lot to be planting from now into the autumn.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
starting an allotment
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:13 »
I will have loads of room in the next few weeks once my pots/onions/peas/etc are out so I will be digging/manure and also planting winter onions/winter cabbage

compostqueen

starting an allotment
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 11:53 »
you got the plot to grow food so start there. I like clear as you go approach but I prefer growing food to clearing.  I've cleared mine piece meal but I know this drives some folks crackers as they like a clear plot with bare soil to start with

In Kitchen Garden mag they have a section on what to sow and plant now which is always a good read.  Often with free seeds too  :D

Novice

• Experienced Member
starting an allotment
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 13:13 »
With all of the problems regarding aminopyralid, I'd be cautious regarding how you are going to manure the plot. I'd be inclined to sow some green manure on the beds that will have nothing in them over Winter, and then this can be dug in in the Spring.
You'll certainly need some of your own compost bins, and there are loads of posts and advice to be found in these forums (but I'm not sure how you search for them :oops: )
Also you'll need to get a crop rotation plan, again, loads of advice to be had off these forums.
In fact, anything you need, just log in and ask, and you're sure to have an answer within hours. Not just gardening stuff either, I found out how to Waltz !!
Happy Growing

yummy

starting an allotment
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 13:37 »
Greg mentioned plug plants... well Suttons have what looks like quite a good brassica collection  LINK 50 plants for £10.95. Delivery late August so that is time to get a spot ready for em.

I am going to order some  :)

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
starting an allotment
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 15:56 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
you got the plot to grow food so start there. I like clear as you go approach but I prefer growing food to clearing.  I've cleared mine piece meal but I know this drives some folks crackers as they like a clear plot with bare soil to start with

I've also done it tiny bit by tiny bit; it drove my one neighbour so nuts that he came over one sunday morning and helped me clear more than I could've done in a week :-)

xx
Allotment & starting out

Started by LetsStartHere on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 19:33
by Yorkie
xx
Starting an allotment.. what would you plant first?

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 10:19
by Christine
xx
Starting Work At The Allotment

Started by TheChilliMan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 19:20
by fibilou
xx
Starting back at a new allotment . . .

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2007, 14:58
by Smudgeboy

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 38 queries.