Water freezing

• 14 Replies

jamima

Water freezing
« on: February 11, 2012, 16:37 »
Is there anything i can add to the water to stop it freezing, thought it was glygerine but not sure .

kegs

Re: Water freezing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 16:58 »
I think there's something about it in this sticky which says it's a laxative and not a good idea.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=26974.30

evie2

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 19:15 »
I find not putting the drinkers on the ground helps ;)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 22:30 »
I use a table food warmer, the type heated by candles.  Use the 8 hour candles which should cover you long enough during a working day.  Pace a paving slab on the top to distribute the heat and then your drinker.  I have a double burner food warmer but just light one candle which has worked well for me.  Don't buy the food warmer new as they are expensive and you can pick them up cheaply second hand, car boot, charity shop etc.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 22:34 »
i am using spare drinker.i am keeping empty drinker in the shed and every mornig i am changing with spare :)and also if i dont forget evenings i am going to make empty drinker and fill up with water morning

jamima

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 16:41 »
Thanks for that i have 2 spare warmers in cupboard not been used for ages .

grinling

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 21:21 »
I don't use the water feeders in winter as freezing can damage them. I am using a washing up bowl. Fresh water each day. Do not use warm water as this freezes quicker.

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 10:34 »
Do not use warm water as this freezes quicker.

I'm afraid that is a fallicy!

Water loses heat in a linear fashion, so warm water takes longer than cold water to freeze, because the temperature is higher to start with.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 13:30 »
Sorry but it is actually true!

Its called the Mpemba effect and was first noticed by Aristotle!

Its one of the peculiar things that science has shown happens or can happen, but no one is totally sure why!

Water cooling does follow an exponential curve, however for some reason, Hot water's curve can be much steeper and therefore overtake cold water in a race to freeze!

Though back on topic, i would just keep changing it over, or use somthing to keep it wam like a heat pad or put it on a brick that you have put in the oven then wrapped in a towel!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 13:41 by Lewjam »
I hate signatures but love irony

kegs

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 13:40 »
Sorry but it is actually true!

Its called the Mpemba effect and was first noticed by Aristotle!

Its one of the peculiar things that science has shown happens or can happen, but no one is totally sure why!

Water cooling does follow an exponential curve, however for some reason, Hot water's curve can be much steeper and therefore overtake cold water in a race to freeze!

As explained here...

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/ug/thompsom/

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 19:26 »
Well you learn something new every day!  :)

I have taken my hens' water in at night and taken it out again next morning.  That seems to work for my flock.  I do a check mid afternoon to see if it needs defrosting again.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

viettaclark

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 23:41 »
The thaw is with us, thank heavens!
It's not just the chickens' water that needed changing twice a day.....spare a thought for the smaller birds and animals. I put out a big plant pot saucer and I got a wren, bluetits, gold finches, blackbirds, robin, thrush etc. diving in for a much-needed drink on those really icy days.
I realised the cats needed some too when I caught them IN the loo!

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 16:49 »
The thaw is with us, thank heavens!
It's not just the chickens' water that needed changing twice a day.....spare a thought for the smaller birds and animals. I put out a big plant pot saucer and I got a wren, bluetits, gold finches, blackbirds, robin, thrush etc. diving in for a much-needed drink on those really icy days.
I realised the cats needed some too when I caught them IN the loo!

Our old cat likes drinking out of an old galvanised watering can in the garden.  When it was frozen I caught her precariously standing with her front paws on our frozen pond trying to drink from the water recirculating pipe into the pond.  Gave me nightmares of getting up in the morning and finding her frozen in the pond.  She has a clean bowl of water in the kitchen but is not fussed even though the watering can is full of tap water she prefers that!!!  ::)

evie2

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 17:13 »
That just reminded me ANHBUC.  When the small back garden pond was just beginning to defrost last year, Ruby would stand on the ice and drink the water that came up the sides, seeing this and being nosey the other hens would follow her and drink from the pond too.  She kept this up, with the ice float becoming smaller until one day, when she jumped on it sank.  She just stood there with a bewildered look on her face and when the water reached her wings, she squawked to be lifted out :nowink: :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 17:19 »
We have had the hens taking a dip or iceskating when it is frozen.  The best was last winter our eldest daughter and son in law were staying with us and they have a young inexperienced yorkshire terrier.  If you told him to come off the ice he would do it all the more.  That was until he fell through the ice and had to be rescued.  He keeps well away now.   :lol:

xx
water freezing

Started by JMF on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 17:03
by Yorkie
question
How to stop water freezing?

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

44 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 12:05
by hillfooter
xx
how to prevent water from freezing

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 01, 2009, 10:17
by grumpydad
xx
How can I stop my chickens water from freezing

Started by suzychucklover on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post December 09, 2010, 08:05
by peanuts23

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 36 queries.