Has anyone come up with a way of stopping the chickens drinking water freezing?

• 10 Replies

bajmoe

I have 3 plastic chicken drinks containers all at different heights off the floor, with added cider vinegar which i am told helps raise the temperature a little, minus 2 last night but this morning they where all frozen, chickens need access to water at all times.

Has anyone come up with a way of stopping the chickens drinking water freezing?
pecking order, columbine, white star, speckled, black star, ranger.

Springlands

I am not aware of anything safe that you can put into the water. Could you move the drinkers into a frost free shed or garage if you know there is going to be a frost. Or keep a couple of empty spare drinkers - that is what I do.   :)

bajmoe

I am not aware of anything safe that you can put into the water. Could you move the drinkers into a frost free shed or garage if you know there is going to be a frost. Or keep a couple of empty spare drinkers - that is what I do.   :)

My chickens are on my allotment, and come out of the coop about 6.30 am they need water when they wake up

Sassy

No! I stopped using the traditional waterers a few winters ago when we were getting minus 18 degree temperatures. I use a small bucket. It still freezes but the ice can easily be popped out for refilling, unlike chook waterers! The bucket stayed cleaner and did not get knocked over.   As  I tUsed to hang their water up it would empty if it was windy, not with the bucket.   :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Sassy

My chickens are on my allotment, and come out of the coop about 6.30 am they need water when they wake up

There are folk that set up a small candle under the water. I don't really think it will matter if it was an hour or so after they got up before they had access to water. :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

8doubles

I prefer a stainless steel (wilko) dish in winter as it will not split or crack if banged to get the ice out.

grinling

I use a sweet tin for winter, but also have a water feeder in the polytunnel for them and that hasn't frozen. Also use cold water and not warm as that freezes quicker.

Helenaj

I use a puppy heat pad - the round ones that look like a frisbee and you warm them in the microwave. One fits easily under my big 6ltr drinker to keep it from freezing during the day (they are good for 12 hours heat if you place them on a bit of straw to keep it off the floor). Night-time I empty them all and put them in a frost free area. I would rather the inconvenience of filling them everyday rather than risk cracking a frozen drinker.

barley

I use old metal saucepans

I raise them up on bricks and leave a T candle light burning underneath

Beekissed

I use a heated dog water bowl up on a step stool so they can't kick litter into it.  Never freezes, works well. 

xx
Chickens Drinking Pond water

Started by CoopersCoop on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 14:24
by CoopersCoop
xx
How can I stop my chickens water from freezing

Started by suzychucklover on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post December 09, 2010, 08:05
by peanuts23
xx
not drinking much water!

Started by Holly Carney on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 09:49
by Craig69
xx
drinking water

Started by mollymuggles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2013, 21:47
by grinling

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 39 queries.