Saucepans

• 40 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Saucepans
« on: July 17, 2016, 19:04 »
I am have been looking at saucepans for a while, deciding which ones to pay out for to be my 'forever' set. I think I am leaning towards cast iron and probably Le creuset I think. I currently have a gas hob and probably always will.

Does anyone have any pros/cons of different saucepan types?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Saucepans
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 19:49 »
Le Creuset ones are just so heavy, I just can't lift them any more - bear that in mind if you are thinking of using them into old age  ::)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 20:19 »
Thanks for that heads up (haven't gone to see any 'for real' yet. I am 32 so if I can get 30 years out of them I I'll be quite pleased!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 20:34 »
 :lol: :lol:
Deffo a try before you buy, and imagine the weight of the bigger ones when full  ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 20:53 »
Do you have any recommendations mum?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 21:12 »
I went for Prestige stainless steel, which in those days had a lifetime guarantee, and they are still going strong 20 odd years later.
I can't vouch for the modern ones though since Prestige got taken over by another company - so not much help really  ::) Sorry.

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 21:39 »
Back in the day, Mrs HGB specified Prestige stainless steel with copper bottoms.
Gradually got the full set right down to the chip pan as finances allowed.

So far 45 years of use, just a few discolorations on the milk pan where her mum forgot to turn off the gas after emptying the pan, but still perfectly usable (and used). 

I used to enjoy periodically polishing the copper bottoms to mirror-like sheen (they used to be hung up) but now don't have the will or energy very often.  When I do attack one with the brasso though they really do come up a treat.

Actually often don't use the copper bottoms, instead these cheapo Morribog non-sticks that have clear glass lids instead as the volumes these days tend to be really small.

Regarding Le C cast irons - sister in law is in the throes of replacing hers with something lighter (and smaller) as even with modest contents they are a bit of a strain on the wrists.

HGB recommendation is to get whatever you like and enjoy using them - and accept that in thirty or forty years you may turn out to rarely use them and have some light and easies for everyday!

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 22:21 »
Thanks for the detailed reply. As that is now two for prestige I will have to take a closer look. I was put off stainless steel because food tends to stick more (and we cook lean with hardy any oil etc) and also because it has poor conductivity but the copper bottoms would overcome that I suppose.... Something else to think about!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 23:22 »
I too love Le Creusot, but at nearly 66 wouldn't like trying to lift them full either now!

If you really want something that I think would last a lifetime, bearing in mind they are expensive.  I saw these ones at a craft fair a couple of times.  They are German, and the man demonstrating them.  Cooked an egg in the frying pan with just a wipe round the pan with oil.  He cooked the egg for ages and it didn't burn.

Then he put sugar in a pan, cooked it for ages.  Let it cool, and you know how hard burnt on sugar is to get off, well he just warmed the pan up for a minute and wiped it with kitchen towel and it came off!

I would love even just the frying pan, but beyond my purse at the moment!

http://www.runcookware.co.uk/demonstration.asp

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 08:30 »
My saucepans are stainless steel, and must be about 20 years old now.  Food only occasionally sticks to the bottom (usually my fault when I have walked away from something that needs continual stirring), but I just put them to soak in washing up liquid and hot water for a while, and they are never a problem to clean. Like a lot of us, I would find le Creuset far too heavy to lift now, especially the bigger pans, so I'm quite happy to stick with stainless steel.  As MoS said, hopefully they will last a long time whatever you choose.   A set of good pans is an investment, and needs careful consideration before you buy.

madcat

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 09:25 »
I agree with the stainless...  soak and they come clean, you dont worry about giving them a good scrub etc.  Mums are going on 60 years and still strong.  Her 'new' smaller stainless pans which are 25 years old are like new and even with arthritis can still be lifted.  Trade off the weight of the pan against speed of heating up and burning ...
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 22:53 »
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

Grannie Annie those pans look very interesting - and if the celebrity endorsements are to be believed then we'll....
I am just a bit wary about having non stick again and having all those chemicals in my food if the coating starts to come off (which is beginning to happen with my mid-priced pans of 7 years)

Even more confused now haha!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 01:14 »
Just to confuse you even more..... :D

I've had a Stellar set (stainless steel, copper bottoms) for many years now, and they are still going strong.  However, if I really don't want something to stick (and can't be bothered to soak) I use my fairly inexpensive Tefal non-stick set.

As for Creuset, far too heavy for me, had to give them away...
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 07:42 »
I have a set of Fagor stainless free pans that came free with my induction hob. The frying pan was coated with non stick & is on its last legs but that was because our daughter used it all the time on as high as she could get it. I like them for another 2 reasons, they have detachable handles so they stack neatly inside each other & they came with a second set of plastic lids so you can store them full in the fridge for instance. The metal lids have steam vent holes which are great for draining water etc from the contents. Oh & ive had them 10 years in october
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 11:07 »
Just to confuse you even more..... :D

I've had a Stellar set (stainless steel, copper bottoms) for many years now, and they are still going strong.  However, if I really don't want something to stick (and can't be bothered to soak) I use my fairly inexpensive Tefal non-stick set.

As for Creuset, far too heavy for me, had to give them away...

I've got a couple of stellar knives which are good actually...

I don't have the space for 2 sets of saucepans in my current kitchen (maybe when we move house next year but....) so they have to be able to do everything. I am also very impatient/time poor and don't really have the time to be soaking things which is why stainless steel didn't appeal hugely...

I think I am going to go and try some Le creuset pans for the weight and then if not I might be tempted by Grannie Annie's suggestion. I am not going to buy them all at once but build up a set over time so I don't mind them being expensive (like my knife collection)

xx
New saucepans

Started by Lardman on Kitchen Natter

10 Replies
Last post December 26, 2022, 17:53
by Lardman

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 40 queries.