Sweet corn

• 12 Replies

sianb

Sweet corn
« on: September 11, 2008, 20:46 »
Hi all,

A quick question regarding my sweetcorn. How do you no when its ripe the tassle,s have started to go black but the corn inside is still white.
Thank,s

Sian
Sian

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Sweet corn
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 20:53 »
I peel back the cover a stick a thumb nail in a kernel if it bursts milky liquid then it's about there, mine have been fab this year I've harvested them when they are a light yellow and with a milky kernel.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Beetroot queen

Sweet corn
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 20:56 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I peel back the cover a stick a thumb nail in a kernel if it bursts milky liquid then it's about there, mine have been fab this year I've harvested them when they are a light yellow and with a milky kernel.

Love sweetcorn, do you fancy sharing

Remember what you learn't in school, Its good to share  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Sweet corn
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 21:14 »
Quote from: "Beetroot queen"

Love sweetcorn, do you fancy sharing

Remember what you learn't in school, Its good to share  :lol:

:tongue2: :lol:  you've got no hope in this house, my first harvest this year was scoffed by the kids and I never got any  :roll:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Sweet corn
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 09:13 »

Grrr mine have been terrible again this year!!

crowndale

Sweet corn
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 15:15 »
All of mine failed to produce corn at the tips and needed around an inch (at least) chopping off before cooking (no. 2 son would eat anything offered even the rubbish bits!).  but the bits that grew were superb, has put me off supermarket corn for life, or at least until my own run out!!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Cowshill

Sweet corn
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 15:32 »
Don't worry if it hasn't filled out all the way to the tip - some varieties just don't do so as much as others.  And don't worry if you pick it a little too early or a little too late either.  Early is sweeter but less flavorful, and later is just the reverse.  Great either way.  Finally, when it's getting near time to pick, walk along the rows and take each cob in your hand and get a sense of how "fat" each one feels.  They fatten up quite a bit at the final ripening, and pretty soon you can tell just by the feel of that "fatness" when it's time to pick any given ear!

This advice from a Yank who's grown and eaten a lot of sweetcorn over the years but who now lives in the north Pennines where these last two years we've been lucky to get any runner beans, let alone sweet corn.  If you have any spare you can send it my way!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Sweet corn
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 15:42 »
Thanks for that Cowshill very interesting. I'll be squeezing what's left of my corn in the morning and welcome to the forums  :D

Cowshill

Sweet corn
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 15:55 »
Thanks for the welcome.  This is just my second year in the U.K. and the first full season of veg gardening.  I've got a lot to learn on how to grow veg in this climate.  Where I lived in the states the season was short but with lots of sun and warmth through the summer.  Here I can grow nearly year round it seems, but I rarely see either the sun or temperatures anywhere near 20.  A real challenge!  (And did I mention the wind????)  I've just discovered the forum, and I'm sure I'll be posting lots of questions about varieties to plant and when to plant them!

cudders

• Experienced Member
Sweet corn
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 21:39 »
Hi there,

I bit the bullet and picked one tonight. It was soooo sweet and beats the pants of the shop bought stuff. Got another 30 or so to go so lots of tasty treats to come!

Cudders

sianb

Sweet corn
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 18:39 »
Thankyou for all your replies . I think i will pick a couple next weekend.   Really looking forward to it as first time we have grown sweetcorn.

Thank,s again :D

Sian

Wombat

Sweet corn
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 20:41 »
Tried the kernel test on one of our cobs and got the milky fluid, so will try some this weekend, although the kernels look a bit pale.  Only planted 9 in the garden, but seem to have 2 or 3 cobs on each.  Can't be certain if they all have edible kernels on though.

compostqueen

Sweet corn
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 22:42 »
mine are good this year but some are not ripe right to the tip but no matter.  I paid 26p for the packet from Wilko so well chuffed  :D  You need to eat them straight away though. Don't pick them til you need them  :D

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
sweet corn

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 09:29
by JayG
xx
Sweet corn

Started by greenjay on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2023, 10:05
by greenjay
xx
Sweet corn

Started by flowerlady on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 07:32
by crackedflowerpots

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 39 queries.