Sweet Corn Planting!

• 8 Replies

freefolk

• Experienced Member
Sweet Corn Planting!
« on: May 14, 2018, 18:31 »
I planted my sweetcorn in 6cm bio pots on 4 May.  They are showing through quite well, with the occasional root through the base.  Will they (probably) go to early June before planting?  I say this as I lost some to frost earlier - doh!  They should be a good size by then.  Thanks as ever for the advice.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Sweet Corn Planting!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 21:03 »
All of mine have gone in this weekend as we here have now past the last frost date here, mine are around 12 inches high. The only thing I do is to protect them from our infamous Fylde coast winds which can batter them. I would think you could get them in a little earlier than planned.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

LILLILEAF

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:51 »
I put my corn in last weekend,they seem to be ok,as the weather was so nice and warm,i have to put a metal cage round them as we tend to get pesky little rabbits nibbling them.
Type of seed i used was honey dew,i did them last year with excellent results.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 06:22 »
Mine are still in the greenhouse. I intend moving them out today. I'm very aware of the frost we had in June a few years back, but darn sarf and at coastal areas you should be OK. We're actually forecast 5C tonight and tomorrow, which is not that much above ground frost potential.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 06:53 »
On our site the birds are a problem too. I have to net my corn seedlings until they are at least 9 inches tall, or they get pulled up. I sowed late, so only half are out, with the other half not due for another week unfortunately.
They're Sundance, so a quick maturing variety, but will still be harvesting later than I would like. The badgers come a calling later in mid August, so it's always a race against time and using appropriate opaque fencing.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:12 »
DD I remember that late frost. June 6th for us here.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 14:09 »
Aha Aidy. We both know how those Fylde coast winds can wreak havoc! I now plant my sweet corn in the greenhouse bed, because if the winds do howl just when the tassels are ready all the pollen gets blown away whereas my cobs are completely full of kernels. All I do is tap the stems with a cane so all the pollen from the tassels falls onto the potential cob.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 16:06 »
Aha Aidy. We both know how those Fylde coast winds can wreak havoc! I now plant my sweet corn in the greenhouse bed, because if the winds do howl just when the tassels are ready all the pollen gets blown away whereas my cobs are completely full of kernels. All I do is tap the stems with a cane so all the pollen from the tassels falls onto the potential cob.
Aha Gooselass  :lol: :lol: :lol: I build a corn shelter using recycled scaffold netting to give mine the protection as I need room for me chillies in me greenhouse.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 16:06 by Aidy »

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 13:27 »
What did you build it from - railway sleepers anchored in the ground with concrete?  ::)

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
Sweet corn

Started by necy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 22:00
by gavinjconway
xx
Sweet corn

Started by Pete C on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 23:55
by corynsboy
xx
Sweet corn

Started by flowerlady on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 07:32
by crackedflowerpots

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 38 queries.