Azada and mattocks

• 5 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Azada and mattocks
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:59 »
I have a new and very brambly plot, I have been  t rying to work out the best way to deal with it, I have looked at past threads, and it seems Munty says roundup won't work on brambles and they need to be dug out. others think chop it out then get as much roots out and cover for as long a possible.

I have been looking at the best way to clear it initially and an azada looks like what we need, but they are about £26, if it is what I need and will be used in the future then I will invest, but it is alot of money to me at the moment, so it it advisable?
ALso I have heard talk of mattocks for clearing, but again it's expensive for using only to clear.

I was looking here BTW http://www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm  I cannot see them for sale anywhere else.

Thanks
Lucy

noshed

Azada and mattocks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:46 »
I've got an azada and I find it very good for rough digging, clearing, levelling. I got a medium one which is still quite heavy so I'd think about that before you buy one. It's tough, so you can get a good bit of leverage behind roots etc.
But you could dig out your brambles with an ordinary spade and fork. Get as tough a fork as you can - an old one might be better because you can bend them quite easily while jumping on brambles.
You could slash off the top growth with a billhook if you can find one, or use secateurs. Then gradually dig out the roots. Mark it into sections and do a bit at a time once you've cleared off the top growth. You will eventually conquer it and you won't need to spend a fortune but it will take a bit of effort.
How about a bramble-digging party?
Forgot to say, the Turkish and Asian people on our site use mattocks and you can buy them in some local hardware shops, so look around.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
Azada and mattocks
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:20 »
I have an azada as well.      I didn't find it fantastic when i was digging over my plot for the first time, but now I am planting it is really useful and am really glad I bought it.   Like nOshed says it's great for levelling and clearing .  I find it great for putting my tatties in.
The website you mentioned id where I got mine from, sounds like yours is the same as mine, they are really good and cannot fault the service :)
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
Azada and mattocks
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 14:28 »
I got one from the place you mention, and I cannot fault the service or the tool-I thought the same as you, that it was a bit much to pay just to clear the ground, but I was proceeding very slowly, and didn't want to use roundup so when i saw a demonstration from a fellow allotment holder I got one.
I find it invaluable now....but beware of the weight.
I am 6'3 and 20 stone, so I can swing it about fairly easily, but if you are <sexist alert> 4' 10 and dainty </sexist alert> you may not be able to.

Oh, and keep the edge sharp too!
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

Trillium

Azada and mattocks
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 21:13 »
I saw Monty Don working with his in the Fork to Fork series and I was impressed with the quick job it did of trenching out rows, then using it to hill things back up, way easier than a spade. Haven't got one yet, but plan to get one when I can scratch up the 35 quid it costs over here.

vron

• Experienced Member
Azada
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 18:42 »
Hi there, we to have a Azada (didn't know what it was called)

We got it from our local Hardware/diy shop, its aprox 6inches wide and cost us £12.99 last autumn, rather awkward for me to use, but the hubby likes it especially for the potatoes.
Vron, Tara & Harley. (The black beastie)

"The more people I meet, the more I like my Dogs"

xx
Mattocks

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post September 10, 2006, 21:48
by John
xx
Azada

Started by Aunt Sally on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 12:05
by dawninspain
xx
Just used my Azada

Started by SkipRat on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post July 29, 2007, 11:03
by Lynne
xx
azada

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

15 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 16:39
by Lynne

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.