Comfrey - can it be moved?

• 16 Replies

bigwellies

Comfrey - can it be moved?
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:55 »
Hello all

We've recently taken on a plot and it has four lovely big comfrey plants - right in front of where we want to put the shed (i.e. a nice level bit of ground with slabs on it and everything). Obviously we want to keep them for making feed, but they're in the way!

Will comfrey tolerate being carefully lifted and re-sited, at this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Comfrey - can it be moved?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:59 »
You can move it - but it will grow again from even the smallest piece of root that you leave in the ground.

I eventually had to kill the regrowth with weed killer to stop it growing in the old position  ::)

bigwellies

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 13:00 »
Brilliant, thanks.

I'm planning on putting some slabs where it is now so we can sit in front of our shed admiring our handiwork, so that should keep any regrowth under control :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 13:01 »
You have been warned  :ohmy:  :nowink:

bigwellies

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 13:26 »
I will be eternally vigilant!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 13:31 »
 :lol: :lol:

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 14:40 »
My neighbour keep removing his comfrey.  ::)  ::)  :nowink:

Plot 5 dug out theirs to put in two ponds  :) - funny I can't now see the ponds for the comfrey  :nowink:

It's truly magical stuff

bigwellies

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 14:46 »
So what's the recipe? Chop leaves off, toss into bucket of water, leave for a bit (how long's "a bit"?), water everything with it?

Is it really that simple?  ???

cadalot

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 14:51 »
Take a look at http://www.allotment-garden.org/comfrey/using-comfrey.php

I have tried all methods and find the pipe easy and less smelly, and I also have a Comfrey water butt filled with a hessian sack full of the stuff and add what comes out of the comfrey pipe - have a look on my diary and you will see how I built in a filter to stop the lumps.

bigwellies

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 14:58 »
Cool, many thanks.

Haven't even got a shed yet, but a water-butt is on the shopping list.

cadalot

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 15:05 »
I used a plastic dustbin with a tap at the bottom at the bottom end of the plot as far away from the shed as possible - Once you have sniffed comfrey you will never forget the smell  :lol: :D the two plastic containers in front of the Comfrey butt have my excess comfrey in and the upper one has concrete blocks in to press the leafs
2014-06-29 (01) Comfrey Water Butt.jpg
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 15:07 by cadalot »

3759allen

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 15:36 »
no need to re plant carefully, it's tough as old boots.

just keep pulling the growth from between the slabs when it's as young as possible or use weed killer.

i would think carefully where and how your going to re plant it. maybe sink buckets or some sort of containers in to the ground to stop the spread. or consider some sort of barrier around the outside.

as said it's ravenous stuff.

cadalot

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 15:47 »
Sticking in a bucket is not going to allow it to mine the good stuff out of the soil - make a decision where it's going and then don't change your mind is better. Mines in the edge of the site in a bed I will only ever use for comfrey. This is the amount of growth in 21 days
2014-04-08 (14) Comfrey.jpg
2014-04-29 (02) Comfrey.jpg

Lardman

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 16:14 »
My neighbour keep removing his comfrey.  ::)  ::)  :nowink:

I dug mine out - They don't regrow if you take off the top 4ft of soil ... however it will grow anywhere you scatter the soil  ::) Comfrey anyone  :lol:

... have a look on my diary and you will see how I built in a filter to stop the lumps.

This could really do with being a sticky like the bean frame. Whilst my pipe was the same design I never managed to sort a filter out which didn't get clogged and lost my patience with it. I think you should do a step by step and post it in design and construction, I can see a mesh splash guard but the plastic things and how they are attached is unclear.

You know you want to  ;)  :D

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 16:57 »
I can vouch for strawberries being able to see off comfrey. I moved mine from the bed to make way for strawberries last year. In the year it resprouted. The strawberries took this as a sign to wage war by runners and this year there is no sign of it.  :D

This could really do with being a sticky like the bean frame. Whilst my pipe was the same design I never managed to sort a filter out which didn't get clogged and lost my patience with it. I think you should do a step by step and post it in design and construction, I can see a mesh splash guard but the plastic things and how they are attached is unclear.

You know you want to  ;)  :D

You do want to, I know you do. It looks so much better than the other versions. :D

moved
MOVED: what are they please

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 13, 2022, 10:57
by New shoot
xx
Moved some Goosegogs

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 05:35
by Rangerkris
moved
MOVED: Asters

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2023, 16:48
by New shoot
moved
MOVED: Glut of PSB!!

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 30, 2022, 21:22
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 40 queries.