Anchoring a polytunnel down

• 5 Replies

Miamivice

Anchoring a polytunnel down
« on: November 20, 2015, 15:48 »
Had misfortune to have my 6m x 3m polytunnel blow away in last week. Fortunately no damage was done but I've retrieved the frame and stored the cover until spring. Any ideas about anchoring the frame to the ground? I've devised an anchor 3ft deep with a hook on it that I'd hammer into the soil. Is this likely to be enough?

cadalot

Re: Anchoring a polytunnel down
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 16:09 »
Depends on the sub soil and if the hook is really going to work.

I have seen screw anchors like the ones for a dogs lead, Scaffold pole driven down, Weights on the steels. Rebar Roughneck fencing pins. Timber framing along the bottom inside and out fixed together and then anchored with the excess of the cover buried in a trench with concrete slabs over.

I don't think you can do too much but you can defiantly do to little.   

snow white

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 22:52 »
Stakes driven into the ground at least 2 feet, then cable tied up the legs for at least 3 feet on all the legs of the pt.  Then construct some shelving to attach to the sides of the pt, and bury the legs of the shelving at least 1 ft in the ground.  Has worked for me so far for 3 years.  With a "blow a way". 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 13:42 »
We live in windy Lincolnshire and hubby concreted our base poles in and they are at least 18" down.  Poles are still there, but we lost the polythene last winter.  Lated well though, we'd had it since 2006 and it was 2nd hand then!

archibtbm

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 19:12 »
I put anchor plates on each the poles - dug a 2' hole for each, attached the plate near the bottom and then back filled the hole,  my mate did his a similar way, but used concrete as the back fill.  As an extra I put a line of slabs down each side on top of the excess plastic.  Both tunnels have been up for over a year and survived a few good blowy days in windy yorkshire

oceanic

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 19:08 »
I have just bought a 6 x 3 polytunnel and have feared this problem. I as I am up in Sweden I am planning on digging down one metre on each corner and cementing in wooden poles. I will have a wooden frame all the way round to add extra weight and I am also putting some uprights in the middle of the tunnel to stop snow collapse, these will be dig down quite a bit. I will also bury the excess cover. Hopefully that is enough! I will share some photos once construction starts.

clip
polytunnel anchoring it down

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 11:57
by jameswburke
xx
Anchoring a greenhouse

Started by Casey76 on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2016, 00:33
by Trikidiki
xx
Anchoring a shed on a windy site

Started by PennyS on Design and Construction

38 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 20:20
by Paul Plots
xx
Anchoring down a wooden green house

Started by mountainvicar on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 18:54
by Oakfield

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 38 queries.