permission for chickens?

• 44 Replies

Evansent

• Experienced Member
Re: permission for chickens?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 21:18 »
We checked our deeds....nothing there. We checked with our closest neighbours....no problems there. So we went ahead and got 6, then we hatched 5, including a cockerel, who was rehomed on an open farm, when we felt he was a bit noisy (but no-one had complained!!). Have just got 8 more chicks and plan to keep the girls.    Have had chickens for nearly 2 years and not a peep from anyone....well except the birds themselves. :D

Colette
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

Tania

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 21:25 »
I looked into this last year before I got my chickens. There are no laws requiring you to get permission to keep poultry assuming the property is your own. All that is needed is your own common sense so not if you live in a high rise or neither if you plan on keeping lots of cockerals. Basically, as long as you don't give your neighbours legitimate grounds to complain they you're okay. Worth running it by them before you purchase just to gage their views. Good luck, chickens are great fun!

boosh

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 20:03 »
We are looking at keeping chickens, and we are council tenants. We asked the local council did we need permission, They said as long as the neighbours either side of us were ok with it, they would send round an inspector to check the garden and the area were we would keep the chickens. but we could not keep a cockerel, and were allowed 4 chickens.

Debz

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 09:17 »
I called the council just as a precaution in case anyone wanted to argue with me about keeping hens.  They said that as long as I didn't have boys and no more than 50 girls I was fine.  He obviously didn't know the address as there is definately not room for 50 (or perhaps he was joking).

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 09:23 »
50 is the amount when you have to register with Defra, although some of us choose to register with them anyway even though we have less than that amount  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

UrbanG

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 09:52 »
I also had this issue just before we got our 2 girls, I could not get any info from the council but after speaking to the breeder we eventually got the chickens off (local to our area) we just went ahead anyway.

This is what he said:
No boys.
No more than 3 large or 4 smallers girls.
Must be kept clean and hygienic at all times to avoid rats and other dirty little scoundrels.
Check with the neighbours and offer a few eggs as a bribe if they seem doubtful at 1st.
Stick to recommended coop and run sizes for the hens.

All common sence really and easily stuck to for what we required.

He did add: If you live in an ex council house or certain types of new builds check the deeds as a lot do not allow keeping livestock (but this can be removed if you now own the house)

I think different councils around the counrty all have different rules and regulations? but common sense says that if you stick to the above you should be fine.

Well thats my common sense...   ::)  and that has been known to vary a lot in the past. lol
1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

amckeen

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 12:31 »
Hi.  I will answer this with my Land Registry head on, but I am not touting for business, honest  ::)

It is not a matter of whether there is a law against keeping them.  What you need to find out is if there is a 'restrictive covenant' against keeping them.  These covenants state what you cannot do with the land.

If your house is registered with Land Registry you will be able to find out if there is a restrictive covenant registered against your property (unfortunately nothing is free from the government but I will give you the basic steps).
1.  Go to www.landregistry.gov.uk and use the 'Find a Property' service.  2. Put in your house details and search.  3.  If your house is registered you will be able to purchase a copy of the Title Register.  4.  After creating basic login details and then paying £4 with a card you will be sent a pdf of the Register via email (check your spam folder if it does not appear in your inbox after a couple of mins).

WHen you have a copy of the Register the 3rd part (called the Charges Register) will be where these covenants are noted.  Usually if they are there the entry will refer to the document being 'filed', which means you will have to pay £12 to get a copy of it.  If that is the case you can pm me and I will give you more instructions (trying to keep this reply reasonably short).

Lecture over........good luck

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 12:39 »
 When buying your house, your solicitor would have pointed out any restrictive covenants that were found when the deeds/searches were made.

We weren't allowed caravans in our gardens  ??? or to brew beer (ex church land)  ::)  :lol:

joyfull

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 12:41 »
very helpful amckeen - thank you  :D

amckeen

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 10:53 »
No problem joyfull........can you tell I work in the Customer Support section of Land Registry?   :D

joyfull

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 11:01 »
so you are one of those people that I ring up and argue with then  ;)  :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 10:48 »
When we were moving to Blackpool I did discuss this with our solicitor at the time of going through the deeds, he explained that I could not keep livestock but chickens in legal terms are not livestock so I could keep them just as I could keep pigeons. I do know of many people now keeping chooks at home but I could see this as a minefield with different councils etc, I would always enquire with them.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 11:45 »
So I am seriously *thinking* about getting a couple of chooks and my first step was a couple of weeks ago to contact the local council via their website... because obviously if the council don't allow it then I can't even entertain the idea so no point getting my hopes up. Ten days later I recieved an email in reply asking me to 'ring to discuss the matter further', so its obviously not just a yes or no!

I tried to call today but the chap I need to speak to isn't in til monday. Turns out the department I was asked to call was environmental health - is that normal?!

Debz

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 11:54 »
Yes that's normal.  You can have other issues with chicken keeping such as rats and the like.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 12:30 »
Well, yes, I knew that about the rats but to be fair as a child when we owned rabbits we got rats and we didn't need to speak to environmental health about owning them! Is it more down to the avian flu thing do you think?

xx
My chickens

Started by bordercreek on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 15:32
by bordercreek
xx
Chickens everywhere!!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 16:43
by min200
xx
we are new to all this we have 10 chickens

Started by krystal on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 22:47
by jinty1911
xx
our 1st chickens are here

Started by storme37 on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 20:13
by orionsquare

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 40 queries.