Watermelon outside

• 4 Replies

Dopey113

Watermelon outside
« on: March 27, 2012, 23:04 »
I had some watermelon last year kept some seeds back, planted then in the poly a few weeks ago, they all came up (about 15 of them) a round red melon, very sweet, I was wondering will I have any (if any) success putting them outside, in my allotment of them getting any fruit,  anyone had any success with them this way? do they need a lot of compost feed ? thanks
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Trillium

Re: Watermelon outside
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:18 »
When you say you had some watermelon, do you mean you grew this melon or you bought it? It makes a difference for seeds because quite a few commercial watermelons are hybrids, which will never give true seed.

Watermelon grown outside in the UK can be difficult because you don't get nearly enough heat units or sun that the fruit needs to fully mature. A few parts of the UK will, but most won't. Greenhouses or closed cold frames are a better method and choosing a small, fast ripening variety.

And yes, watermelons are quite heavy feeders needing regular watering and lots of sidedressings of rotted manure or manure teas.

Dopey113

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 15:45 »
Thanks, it was just a watermelon that I bought and ate from a shop, probably a Turkish one (but that's just a guess) lots of feed then, see how it goes

Dom2599

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 15:52 »
The old fella next to me is growing them this year, will have to keep an eye on how they do...he seems to grow everything effortlessly!

Dopey113

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 16:23 »
Well there all waffling on about climate change etc. so you got to have a go, orange trees next  :D

xx
Watermelon not growing

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2020, 10:48
by Ema
xx
Growing own watermelon

Started by Df79 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2022, 18:18
by Subversive_plot
xx
Watermelon sprouting

Started by soaplady on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 18:28
by gobs
xx
watermelon help required

Started by soaplady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 13:09
by gobs

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 39 queries.