What's going on with our tomatoes

• 8 Replies

wendycas

What's going on with our tomatoes
« on: October 09, 2013, 22:27 »
Hi there
We have just taken out our tomatoes; 100s and 1000s and Red Pear. All plants were watered the same and given a tomato feed 3 times a week but some of the compost from the plant pots was dry and some wet. Do the different varieties need different feeding/watering? What could account for this difference? By the way, all plants did not do very well this season.
Thanks  :blink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What's going on with our tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:56 »
The watering requirements of tomatoes is more related to their size and growth habit than the actual variety - a strongly growing bush type with many stems and leaves will obviously take up more water than a single-stemmed cordon.
The ambient temperature makes a difference too - watering clearly has to be more frequent in hot weather, the objective being to keep the growing medium consistently moist rather than alternating between too dry and too wet.

Some may disagree, but feeding 3 times a week sounds a bit excessive to me, especially if you used full-strength feed - it's possible that your disappointing results are due to overfeeding as well as inconsistent watering.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:26 »
My toms are still going really well and I harvested loads yesterday  :D  The Roma seem to be really going for it and they are large, juicy and red. I'm chuffed with them, especially as the seeds were a freebie with a mag

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 15:36 »
The watering requirements of tomatoes is more related to their size and growth habit than the actual variety - a strongly growing bush type with many stems and leaves will obviously take up more water than a single-stemmed cordon.
The ambient temperature makes a difference too - watering clearly has to be more frequent in hot weather, the objective being to keep the growing medium consistently moist rather than alternating between too dry and too wet.

Some may disagree, but feeding 3 times a week sounds a bit excessive to me, especially if you used full-strength feed - it's possible that your disappointing results are due to overfeeding as well as inconsistent watering.

I think that a feed once a fortnight is more normal. That's what it says on my packet of Tormorite.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 15:54 »
If you fed the plants full strength feed three times a week, the chances are you overfed them. What happens then is that the salts build up in the compost and the plant can't take up water so the feed isn't doing any good.

If you only watered them when you fed them, then again the plant would be less likely to take up the feed because there would be too many salts in the water.

If the compost was wet, then the plants were possibly waterlogged which again stops the roots breathing and the plants suffer.

Sounds a bit like you gave the plants too much TLC. Tomatoes are harmed more by overwatering than under watering. I feed mine about once a week with half strength tomorite, and water them every other day but modify that depending on the weather and the size of the plant (every day for big plants in hot weather, every third day for small plants and/or dull weather).

Some people even recommend that you only water tomatoes when the leaves start to droop but I think that is putting the plant under stress and is likely to give you blossom end rot.

wendycas

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 18:24 »
Thanks very much for all your replies. The reason we fed so often is an episode of Gardener's World where Monty visited an organic gardener who had amazing toms and said he actually fed them every day!
We were watering every other day apart from the really hot time when we watered every day.  :unsure:
Hey ho...more to learn from for next year.......!
Thanks again

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 22:35 »
I saw that episode and I thought that he'd said it was very dilute feed and I also thought that he didn't water them very much so I suppose the overall effect was the same as feeding them once a week/fortnight and watering in between.

I came away with the impression that what he was doing was more akin to hydroponic culture with little or no soil/compost and all the goodness in the water.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 09:11 »
I always feed everyday: The plants I don't feed with the slow release plugs anyway. Dilute liquid tom feed to 4ml per litre and give each plant 1/2 to 2/3 of a litre each day. I seem to get good results.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 09:16 »
Diluting it makes all the difference  ;)

xx
Help with my Little Tomatoes

Started by LeahJean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 23:36
by Paul Plots
xx
Tomatoes help !

Started by Marky on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2006, 22:17
by milkman
xx
Tomatoes...

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 21:02
by HelenaK
xx
6c due - tomatoes

Started by Dan Byrne on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2020, 11:31
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 40 queries.