Verbena bonariensis

• 14 Replies

Belvoir

Verbena bonariensis
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:57 »
Some years ago I succesfully grew lots of Verbena Bonariensis from seed  :) I gave some away and we have all been pleased with the results over the years :) but this year they have not appeared in either my garden or my sister's  >:(  Could it be due to the hard winter could  they come through late?
We live in Stockport (north west)

8doubles

Re: Verbena bonariensis
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:30 »
Some of the self seeded verbena does seem to start late but i have a few plants appearing now.

The hard weather didn`t get it all. :)

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:05 »
mines just began to appear too only small but getting there ,thought id lost them too

Spana

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:17 »
Same here, nothing like the norm :( Lets hope that its just late,lots of things are ::)

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 10:28 »
Mine are a bit late too.  Just starting to show some leaves :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 14:41 »
I'm a bit further north than you are, and higher up (near Winter Hill), and have never been able to keep it going from year to year.  Have to treat it as an annual. Shame, cos I love it.

They are not fully hardy in all areas, and it might be that you've lost them with the 'proper' winter we've just had.  Though as they only just seem to be appearing further south, could be they're just holding on for warmer weather.

May be get some seedlings gowing so you know you've got some if it does turn out that they've gone for good.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 15:56 »
I live near Bristol.  My mum and I were commenting only yesterday that ours seem to have disappeared as well.  One of them was in a pot with some anthemis - which is now growning strongly -  but no sign of the v.bonariensis. 

I hope it is just late because of the weather.  Lots of other things are.  This time last year according to my gardening diary I was picking the first sweet peas which I start off in autumn.  This year the plants looked fine when I planted them out on 7 April but they have been very slow to get away.  I think the lack of rain, added to the continued cold weather is the reason.  Hopefully, now it is warming up things will catch up.  Just wish we could have a bit more rain though (only a gardener would say that  :) )

Broadhaven

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 18:09 »
Same here with me, I had a new border last year and one of my casualties is the Verbena. I have got some growing from a packet of seeds I bought but not been very successful so far with them. :(

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 09:39 »
I always grow them from seed, and everytime, it's just when I've given up on them, and thrown the tray into the corner of the greenhouse, then they germinate.  I don't find them easy at all.  But too expensive to buy the plants in the quantities I like.

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:52 »
Some of mine show signs of growth.  It may well be that some seedling come up too.  I read somewhere that you can take stem cuttings at any time in the summer so I might try that too.  If it works, they can be kept inside overwinter.  :)

This link has some information http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/features/verbena-bonariensis/

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:23 »
This link has some information http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/features/verbena-bonariensis/

That's where I may have gone wrong then - the one I had in a pot, I cut back in the autumn as it looked messy.  It wouldn't notice so much in a border.  Next year I will try growing some from seed.

Belvoir

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 18:53 »
I bought a pot of it from a garden centre £4.75 there were lots of stems on it :) I rooted some and have got loads more plants from it!!  :) I tried to buy seeds but they had all been sold up! :(

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 19:16 »
I haven't noticed any up yet in our garden, hope we haven't lost them as they always look so good in amongst all our perrenial cottage beds.  Will have to have another look tomorrow.

Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 19:18 »
mine are only little but they have survived :)

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 21:27 »
I was watering tonight and spotted some VB seedlings in the pot where they were last year - yay!  Ain't nature wonderful :)

xx
Verbena bonariensis

Started by Deborah1 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2016, 14:40
by mumofstig
xx
verbena bonariensis

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 21:53
by sunshineband
xx
Verbena bonariensis

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2018, 16:46
by sunshineband
xx
Verbena bonariensis

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2023, 16:00
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 39 queries.