Building a new coop (photos included!)

• 9 Replies

Casey76

Building a new coop (photos included!)
« on: October 10, 2009, 16:57 »
After coming to the conclusion that my bought (and not inexpensive) coop wasn't making life any easier for me, I decided that I needed a new coop.

Being me, I decided to do things the hard way and build one from scratch.  Not being too experienced at DIY, but with plenty of enthusiasm I have just about finished Stage 1...

First came the Plan:

Then came the multiple modifications to the plan

Then came the cutting of the wood... (and learning that cutting a straight line with a jigsaw isn't as easy as my dad made it look!)

Then came the "oh s***" moment when you realise that you wont have enough wood, and the screws you bought (all 250 of them) aren't long enough.

I've been back to the drawing board so many times on this (consequently it isn't the "cheap alternative" I thought it would be... but I have now finished Stage 1

Now since everything is just clamped and not screwed (driver ran out of charge just after finishing the legs) I hope we don't have a gale in the night.

Funny how things never really look as big on the plan, even when you draw to scale ;)  Still it leaves plenty of room for expansion next year lol! (btw, for scale: the pale wooden batten  on the front right of the coop is 1m long)...

Tomorrow I'll get it properly screwed down and roofed with with weldmesh and Onduline, then comes the fun part of hanging the doors...

Hopefully it will be complete next week.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Re: Building a new coop (photos included!)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 17:02 »
Well done it's looking good so far.

When hubby and I set about making our henhouse and run we deliberately didn't bother with plans as hubby never sticks to them ::) Ours just evolved as we went along and we were really pleased with the end result.

Can't wait to see yours finished.  :)

RichardH

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 18:52 »
I used SketchUp when I planned my coop too - and yes, it evolved, but it was really handy to help me think about where joints were, how timbers were going to butt against each other etc.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 19:08 »
Looking good, and very clever of you to make it big enough for more chickens  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 19:15 »
Well done , its looking good. The materials are expensive over here aren't they :mad: Hubby makes my houses for me, he's very good BUT you're doing better than him- he couldn't work the google sketch up thingy :lol:
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:48 »
Hey looks good, we are just talking about building a new one for the girls to go with their new electric fence they will be getting shortly.  Looks like you used ply for this, we have been discussing best materials and have been aruging about ply wood, but I have seen quite a few made of this though, was it marine ply? and did you treat it with anything?  What have you made your roof out of (again something we have been having BIG discussions about)?  Would love to see piccies of the finished product.  We also agree we want our new one on 'legs' gives the girls some protection from damp ground, also gives them somewhere to shelter on days like today and makes the whole cleaning experience much easier.

tode

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:02 »
It's coming along nicely, Casey   :D   :D

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 10:19 »
Hi NDD, it is exterior grade ply (marine ply was prohibitively expensive - at least here in France)

The roof will be 1cm sq weld mesh stapled to the top of the frame (to stop any rats etc getting in) then covered with Onduline.

Eventually it will be getting painted with a waterbased exterior wood stain.

I'll keep adding photos as I go lol!

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 11:01 »
Thanks.  You did say in the first post what the roof was made of, I am having a very 'doh' morning!  :blush:

Will tell OH about your plans and building materials.  Good luck with your building.  :)

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 16:47 »
Certainly looks very good- I'm sure your girls will love their new palatial surroundings!  The best thing about making your own house is that it can be 'easy access' for cleaning. 
Any thoughts on the shag-pile carpet or plasma screen telly yet?

xx
HELP! - building a coop & run

Started by nervous newbie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 07:31
by uba
xx
Help building my first coop

Started by mozza15 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 12:47
by mozza15
xx
Coop building

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 20:29
by nerdle
xx
building a coop

Started by Bailz on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 10:13
by rachelr

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 40 queries.