found a well

• 14 Replies

jack russell

found a well
« on: February 16, 2008, 20:09 »
I have found a well on a half plot i have taken on, that was very overgrown and not worked for 5 or more years.  The well was covered with a tyre i am unsure on its depth but it is more than six foot deep as that's as far as i could get with the stick i had :shock:.  Can the water in it be used on the garden or not?  i will have to get a bucket and get some out to see what its like.  If not how will i go about cleaning the well out?  And who the hell digs them in the first place :roll:  :shock:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

flowergirl

found a well
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 20:16 »
Lucky you spotted it thats an accident waiting to happen

"Whats that Skippy? Theres a Jack Russel stuck in a well!"

jack russell

found a well
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 20:23 »
no chance of that flower girl  :D  its about 20" dia,  my ass is 36" dia  :lol:  :lol: my legs would be stuck  :lol:

flowergirl

found a well
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 20:34 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Trillium

found a well
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 20:46 »
Who said both legs would get stuck?  :wink:  :lol:

You definitely want to rope that area off against unknowing visitors getting hurt, even 20" wide. Some years back a young child fell into a 6" opening and went down considerable distance. It made worldwide headlines trying to get her out for several days.
You'd want to check a bucketful of the water first to see what might be in it  - contaminents or just plain sludge before deciding.

jack russell

found a well
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 21:18 »
cheers trillium i though about trying a bucket or two or three :D i would imagine it is dead water so to speak but at this time i am unsure how deep it is.  My friend also mentioned about kids falling down it :shock:  :roll:  if there in my plot and they have took the time to climb over the barbed wire etc....................... no sympathy here,  and Ive got kids and been one once :wink:

I do however intend to build an ornate wall with roof and working bucket on pulley type thing  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
found a well
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 21:28 »
They where quite common on 1 site I used to be on many years back, I had one lined with oil drums, the water was always OK, Lucky you JR :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

poultrygeist

found a well
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 22:25 »
If you're really lucky it might be crude oil down there.

...could be the next JR  8)

jack russell

found a well
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 22:37 »
JR :wink:  oh to be JR :D  I wish, infact nah the wassuck got shot :shock:  :D

babe

• elvis king of chooks
found a well
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 10:48 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Who said both legs would get stuck?  :wink:  :lol:

You definitely want to rope that area off against unknowing visitors getting hurt, even 20" wide. Some years back a young child fell into a 6" opening and went down considerable distance. It made worldwide headlines trying to get her out for several days.
You'd want to check a bucketful of the water first to see what might be in it  - contaminents or just plain sludge before deciding.

it was that little jessica. they made a film of it... made me cry.

i'd fill it in, always beter to be safe than sorry.

jack russell

found a well
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 15:25 »
been back today the well is about eight foot deep there is one in the other half of the plot too, and talking to the neighbours almost all 78 plots have them :shock:   I was told to empty it out then fill it and empty again then water will be ok to use on plants.  i will post a pic later on.

Trillium

found a well
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 16:47 »
Sounds like you've got a small goldmine on your plot. Congrats.

philskin

found a well
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 18:59 »
I would fence it off you never know what might happen. Imagine how you would feel if a little one fell down it ,could contaminate the water what a waste ha ha  lol :lol:
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

jack russell

found a well
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 23:59 »
well i have got my backside into gear and sorted my pics out, here is my well.  I will be building a stone wall around it complete with bucket and roof :D not for a while yet got lots of other work on the plot to do first.

Oh and it is covered by a wheel and tyre for the time being :wink:

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
found a well
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 01:42 »
If you're really lucky it might be crude oil down there.

And as one oilcan said to the other "How the f*^&ing **el we going to get out of this hole"

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 39 queries.