RECYCILNG

• 41 Replies

Renfield

Re: RECYCILNG
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2006, 12:36 »
Quote from: "ladybird"
Has anyone out there got any other ideas for recycling apart from  CDs as bird scarers, and toilet roll tubes for sweet peas etc. I'm sure there must be lots more.

Meat containers ie Mince, chicken breast packets.

Drill some holes in thebottom, and use them for seedling trays

Phil

Oliveview

RECYCILNG
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 18:36 »
We  ´recycle´ the water at the kitchen sink.... it takes 5 litres until it starts to run even warm, so we have water bottles ready to fill up with the cold water when washing up and then use them to carry the water upstairs to the patio.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
RECYCILNG
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 21:44 »
I try to remember to re-use the kitchen sink water.  everytime I rinse a cup or glass or wash my hands, I catch the water in the washing up bowl, then take it out and use it in my patio pots.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
RECYCILNG
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2006, 12:36 »
Not exactly re-cycling but a money saver anyway. Home made netting pegs, get a large coil of galvanised fencing wire (about £3-50) cut it into 9 inch lengths bend into the shape of a tent peg cheap netting pegs
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

milkman

RECYCILNG
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2006, 14:47 »
10l florists buckets - I'm hoping they'll help me produce some aubergines this year (fourth year lucky)...

Blue mushroom trays - line with paper and fill with compost to produce a seed tray

500ml/380ml plastic drinks bottles - great for topping canes to reduce the risk of poking your eyes out

Wood out of skips on business parks/industrial estates or from expanding Tesco stores or make friends with your local shop-fitting business - great for edging fixed beds, making giant compost bins or weighing down crop covers

Bricks/paving tiles from skips - useful for weighing down crop covers

Lengths of old water pipe - cut to 1.8m lengths, stick a bamboo cane up each end to anchor to the ground and create your own customised cloche structure for covering with fleece, netting etc.

Empty multi-purpose compost bags - great for transporting garden waste/ guinea pig hutch waste from home to allotment compost bins

Shop carrier bags for transporting harvested veg from allotment plot to kitchen

Our borough council every now and again off load redundant wheely bins which can be used as water butts (if they haven't had their bottoms cut off) or compost bins (if they have)

One I'm going to try later this year is to cut my leaky redundant water butt in half lengthways, fill the two halves with compost and create a couple of strawberry beds, finding some sort of structure to raise them off the ground with

And anything of organic origin can be recycled in the compost bin...
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

twhincup

• http://www.crazyhorsetrading.com
RECYCILNG
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2006, 18:20 »
How about a fairy liquid bottle washed out, the bottom cut off, filled with water and up ended in to your tomato pots to drip feed them -  - - - thanks Mum  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
RECYCILNG
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2006, 23:00 »
I've done that with plastic 2 litre lemonade bottles, just making a small hole in the lid so the water doesn't come out too quickly, but with 117 tomato plants, I don't have enough pop bottles to go round!!!! lol

Oliver

Re: RECYCILNG
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 23:24 »
Quote from: "ladybird"
Meat and fruit containers

Use them (especially the larger ones) as covers for seed trays like mini propogators.

Also, certain types of biscuits from Waitrose come in brown 3-hole dividers 50mm deep. Drill some holes in the bottom for drainage - they make excellent 'trays' for potting on seedlings, especially to sell for fund raising. (People often return the pots and things anyway).
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
RECYCILNG
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2006, 12:52 »
Hello there, I find the little actimel (or similar) type of yoghurt health drinks make ideal cane tops. I'll also give your neighbours the impression that you are on a health kick.
Ah well ! There is always next year !

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
RECYCILNG
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2006, 12:56 »
Clear plastic grape bags; the ones with the pattern of slits up the side; currently filled with grow bag compost and sprouting peas, hung up like  hanging baskets.

jingerpot

RECYCLING
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2006, 19:17 »
I bought one of those plastic greenhouses to store my tools in while I built my shed.......of course it was a few days before the gales and it self distructed...but the top poles and upper sides made great supports for a cloche for my marrows, the side poles with the plastic corner pieces have become my brassica cover supporting the nets and at the end of this summer I am going to build a wooden frame and re-use the cover on a stronger frame.
And also on the subject of re-cycling.......I am also one of those people who gave away all my gardening stuff when I moved to a bungalow with no garden ! !

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
RECYCILNG
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2006, 12:23 »
Beanzie Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there, I find the little actimel (or similar) type of yoghurt health drinks make ideal cane tops. I'll also give your neighbours the impression that you are on a health kick.
 e

What a cracking idea you could also use the small plastic balls used in kid's play areas You can pick them up dead cheap on car boots cost me a quid for a hundred complete with zip-up bag

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 39 queries.