Gooseberries and white currants in pots

• 7 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Gooseberries and white currants in pots
« on: February 07, 2018, 22:13 »
I thought that I had asked about this before, but I cannot find it - apologies in advance, if it is easy.
I have some in pots and some in the ground and none have ever had more than an ice cream tub of gooseberries or white currants.
I think that in order to get a good yield they need a potash feed?  Any other advice?  Lots of watering?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Re: Gooseberries and white currants in pots
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 09:07 »
You asked about Blueberries before  :D Replacing blueberries in Grow Your Own - Page 1 of 1
I know but surely the regimes are different?  Or am I mistaken?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:42 »
I wasn't implying the advice would be the same, but I thought that topic was, probably, what you remembered  :)

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:43 »
I wasn't implying the advice would be the same, but I thought that topic was, probably, what you remembered  :)
That makes sense, it could be.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 18:55 »
Please let me know of any white currant recipes you may have. I got 4.5 kilos of white currants off one bush last year and most of them are still in the freezer. Not bragging - I did nothing to assist, just picked the ruddy things (boring) and then froze them. They don't seem to add much to fruit alcohols, worse luck, but they are sweeter than red so there should be some recipes somewhere!

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:27 »
Gooseberries, I make a gooseberry & mint jelly & ive in the past made gooseberry & pistachio jam, also gooseberry fool. White currants, I make a jelly like redcurrant or add them to redcurrant. Last year I made white currant with rosemary which was nice, just cooked them up with some sprigs of rosemary, then removed it, then added finely chopped leaves a few minutes before the end of boiling the jelly. Made a lovely coloured jam. I also add them to cooking Apple in pies & crumbles with any other soft fruits I might have.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 11:01 »
Gooseberries, I make a gooseberry & mint jelly & ive in the past made gooseberry & pistachio jam, also gooseberry fool. White currants, I make a jelly like redcurrant or add them to redcurrant. Last year I made white currant with rosemary which was nice, just cooked them up with some sprigs of rosemary, then removed it, then added finely chopped leaves a few minutes before the end of boiling the jelly. Made a lovely coloured jam. I also add them to cooking Apple in pies & crumbles with any other soft fruits I might have.
Thanks for the tips snowdrops - I'll certainly try the jelly with rosemary, and I need to free up some freezer space for the coming year so I'll try the crumble as well. It's funny how easy it is to fill a freezer, and how it seems to take ages to empty it!

xx
Standard or bush for Gooseberries or white currants

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2016, 19:46
by Trikidiki
clip
gooseberries or currants

Started by AK9 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2015, 12:54
by sunshineband
xx
Currants and gooseberries - which needs least shade?

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 15:28
by Trillium
xx
Gooseberries, red/black currants, rhubarb

Started by chicken soup on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 08:30
by chicken soup

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 49 queries.