tough tomato skins

• 7 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
tough tomato skins
« on: June 30, 2009, 22:09 »
I picked and tasted my first ripe greenhouse tomato today. The flavour was lovely  :) but the skin was tough as old boots  :tongue2: Why do greenhouse tomatoes always do this? I have shaded the glass with old sheets and keep the door open in hot weather but I think it's the heat that causes the problem as the outdoor ones are usually much better (but they are not ripe yet). I have put a few green ones in a box to ripen in the house to see if that helps, but if not then it's out with the passata maker and all the toughies will be made into sauce.
Rachael

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Re: tough tomato skins
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 22:30 »
My greenhouse toms (G. Delight) are not yet as big as peas. Maybe your early, presumably heated, cultivation has something to do with it? I have always thought that the skins of G. Delight are rather thick but not as bad as you appear to indicate.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 00:00 »
Nowhere idea about toms, so its just a thought
Maybe more watering before picking? A big drench a day or two before and then pick in the morning? Im going to keep this in mind now youve posted it
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 00:22 »
You don't say what variety they are.... Some skins are thicker than others.

Careful drenching the toms just before picking Peapod,  too much and you'll cause them to split - then they'll never make it back to the kitchen  ::)  :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 00:24 »
You don't say what variety they are.... Some skins are thicker than others.

Careful drenching the toms just before picking Peapod,  too much and you'll cause them to split - then they'll never make it back to the kitchen  ::)  :D

Was thinking that the day before would stop that? Or is it still not a good idea?

gillie

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 07:18 »
It is certainly partly due to the variety. Commercial varieties are tested for skin toughness as it increases shelf life.  Moral - use non-commercial, possibly heritage varieties.

Careful steady watering is also important.  Erratic watering leads to blossom end rot or splitting but give them plenty of water regularly should minimise the problems and give the thinnest possible skins.

Cheers,

Gillie

JWK

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 10:04 »
As others have said the variety makes a big difference.

I've found over the years that the first one or two tomatoes can be a bit tougher and not so sweet tasting due to the amount of time they have taken to ripen. Once the plant gets into full flow and fruit are ripening faster then the taste can improve and skins get less tough.

This year my first tomatoes (New Girl) picked a couple of days ago have been delicious and not tough.
John

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 15:17 »
I have various varieties - the first ones to ripen were the Sungold F1, I have also tried a gardeners delight this morning and that was slightly better. I water pretty regularly, in the evening. It will be interesting to see if they improve as they start ripening quicker as JWK suggests.

xx
tough skins on tomato

Started by salmonking on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 14, 2014, 15:05
by JayG
xx
tough tomato skins

Started by kasey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 05, 2016, 11:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
Why are my tomato skins tough?

Started by country lover on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 10:18
by gobs
xx
Spuds with tough skins

Started by Taff Jones on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 20:39
by Rampant_Weasel

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 39 queries.