jeyes fluid/ general cleaning

• 18 Replies

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« on: November 05, 2007, 23:32 »
hello all  :D

have been in touch with the makers recently to find out if they had stockists in my area (manchester) and been sent a rather confusing mail, well to me lol, i mentioned i'd been recommended this above all others (by the good people on here) for cleaning my 'duck house' out once its installed and occupied  :D

their reply seems to saying the opposite so are they just covering their backs for reasons unknown to me or has something changed about what you should use this for???

and if so, what's the best alternative as i want to make sure that when the ducks go in, everything down to cleaning will have already been taken care of for the immediate future.

the mail reads as follows:

Dave

Regrettably, as this product is now subject to Ministry regulations, we are unable at present, to confirm recommendations other than those printed on the latest can. This also means that the recommendations made in the Jeyes Fluid leaflet are now obsolete.

We would advise that we would not recommend you use the product to clean a duck house as it is harmful to animals if ingested.

Your local Garden/DIY Centre can get a large tin in for you on their next delivery. Alternatively if you call our main suppliers Decco on 01494 786241 they can give you details of a stockist in your area.

Kind regards

Anita Shinnick
Consumer Relations Manager

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 23:37 »
well i have used it and wil continue ,, they are covering thier backs and i dont blame them ,.,,, there is a mixed message thier ,, but others may say not to use it ,,,,  :wink:
still alive /............

Fat Hen

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 23:38 »
Odd :!:   It's hardly likely to be ingested if used to clean and allowed to dry before being occupied.  

I use it on my hen house (weekly), and for cleaning dog run.

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 23:39 »
well thats what i thought  . . . . .  if its allowed to dry out first i cant see the problem  :?

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 06:14 »
i use jeyes in the yard, and have done for years now, but if you want a stronger disinfectant   ' Battles black ' is the one.
fantastic stuff. smells like jeyes, and the usual precautions have to be adhered to when cleaning out houses and sheds, but it is much stronger than jeyes.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 16:16 »
If Jeyes now comes under Ministry regs, why can I still buy it in not only places like Garden Centres, but Wilkinson, Tesco, Morrisons?

We've always used it for cleaning the patios and greenhouses and the goat shed when it was for goats, and now for the chooks.  I've never had a problem.

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 16:51 »
thanks grannieannie you've inadvertently  answered my question on where i can buy it lol  :D   :D

thank you  !

Bodger

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 16:52 »
If its reportedly dangerous for ferrets and dogs, why not chickens ?

Selkie

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 17:40 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
If its reportedly dangerous for ferrets and dogs, why not chickens ?

is it something to do with them being mammals?

Bodger

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 17:44 »
I don't think so.

Months ago, several forums put warnings on site that Jeyes had changed the formula of their product and that ferrets and some dogs were apparently being made ill and worse by taking in the chemicals through contact with their feet.

Fat Hen

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 19:24 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
I don't think so.

Months ago, several forums put warnings on site that Jeyes had changed the formula of their product and that ferrets and some dogs were apparently being made ill and worse by taking in the chemicals through contact with their feet.

Thats a bit worrying as I use for our dog run :!:  As well as chook house.  Though always hose it away after leaving it to soak for 1/2 hr.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 20:00 »
Quote from: "daveinmanc"
thanks grannieannie you've inadvertently  answered my question on where i can buy it lol  :D   :D

thank you  !

It wasn't inadvertent at all Dave, just thought I'd pop in a few places you could try!!!! :lol:  :lol:

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 09:00 »
To be honest I would use something else. I don't think Jeyes is nearly as effective as it used to be and there does seem some uncertainty as to its safety around animals.
I would use Battles Black disinfectant, Antec Farm Fluid, Antec Virkon S (highly effective, but no smell) or V18.
All should be available from your local Agricultural Merchant / Country Store.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 09:06 »
V18 is Vanodine isn't it?  I use that on the brooder sheds and chick equipment, as they say it is safe to use even with chicks around, and it is a cleaner and sanitiser as well as disinfectant.

They even say you can put a drop in the drinkers to help get rid of bacteria, but I haven't tried that yet.

Gets the pooey drinkers and feeders nice and clean though!!!

si-mate

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 09:52 »
Yup V18 Vanodine.

Aviary people use it as it is extremely safe - and if it's safe to use on aviary birds then it's safe for pretty much anything.

xx
Jeyes fluid

Started by treecol on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 19:43
by sunshineband
xx
RE JEYES FLUID

Started by TRACKS on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 21:24
by richyrich7
xx
Jeyes fluid

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 11:38
by Tenhens
xx
jeyes fluid

Started by walker on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 09:58
by walker

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 39 queries.