Totally gutted!

• 12 Replies

Debbie D

Totally gutted!
« on: April 15, 2009, 18:39 »
The stupid bl**dy wind has just blown over my plastic greenhouse with all my seedlings in. I have managed to salvage a few but the majority have had it I'm afraid. They were all doing so well too. I can't believe how upset I am over a few plants but I had nurtured these little darlings.  We should have secured the darn thing to the wall properly but we have had another against the other wall for over a year and it has never so much as tottered.  I am just going to have to start from scratch again near enough - feeling very sad and sorry for myself  :( 

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
Re: Totally gutted!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 18:47 »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Debbie.
I tried to use on of the plastic greenhouse once and within a few weeks it got ripped with the wind, would not recommend them to anyone. Go for glass.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 19:01 »
So sorry to hear your misfortune, Debbie.  I can understand you must be gutted.

It's not too late to re-sow most things (though I know you'd rather not have to).

My 4-tier minigreenhouse is up against a wall of the house, and has a piece of string around it, tying it to a drainpipe.  It rarely budges more than 3" (touch wood).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 19:05 »
Oh I'm sorry to hear about your seedlings I'd be hopping mad myself, infact it's the kind of thing that tends to happen to me.

I have a mini polytunnel, a couple of weeks back we had strong wind and it blew inside out ( similar to the way a brolly does), I had to fix it and put something heavy over it. Fortunately most of my seedlings were Ok most weren't germinated.

Last week the wind was howling in the middle of the night and i found myself unable to sleep worrying about said polytunnel, so at 4am I was out there in dressing gown and overcoat putting wire panels over it as further reinforcement. The cats loved it they were very excited that I was splaying out in the middle of the night  :lol:

try to forget the disappointment and think about a new batch of seedlings it's still early on in growing season, but get those wall  fastenings in perhaps. ;)

emma178

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 19:48 »
My temporary greenhouse also feel over snapping most of the tomatoes and peas in half and scattering the young seedlings all over the place.  Not good and completely feel for you.  The peas came back but the tomatoes were not so lucky.

I am currently re-sowing aswell  >:(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 19:58 by emma178 »

vortex444

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 19:52 »
it happened to me last year with a plastic greenhouse which just got ripped and turned inside out by strong winds i lost everything in it.. :ohmy:

however all was not lost as i re-sowed and got most things back i had growing so chin up and get planting or if you cant re sow..look for a garden centre

good luck :)
I thought life was all rush then i got a allotment and i now love to just relax

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 20:18 »
Oh bad luck that really is gutting. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who loses sleep worrying about the garden etc when it's windy.
Rachael

Debbie D

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 22:10 »
Thanks for the words of sympathy, greenhouse is now firmly attached to wall and I will get sowing again tomorrow - worse things happen at sea I know.  I can always use it as a good excuse to get down to the garden centre and have a little spend! 

titch

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 22:21 »
ours went over in the wind too  :mad:
i have cunningly left the spilled seedlings in the pile of soil they landed in, in the hope that in a few days or so i can pcik them up in their clump and pop them back in a pot - whether it works is another thing.............................
lost loads of chillis and onions, lucky hubby planted way too many chillis and i got sets up the plot
just keep breathing................

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 23:14 »
just experience all the way down the line I guess....

Even ali/glass greenhouses can be blown over which I have heard of quite a few times. I made sure with mine, its bolted to railway sleepers set in the ground!!
Death OR Cake ???

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 06:47 »
I sympathise; I lost a load of stuff earlier in the year with the wind, and then one of the cats got in and upturned the resown stuff. I now have everything on the floor in there as it's quite large and the base poles weighted down with slabs.

cudders

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 11:32 »
Thats harsh  :(

But chin up..Still plenty of time to re-sow most things and they will catch up  ;)

Cudders

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 11:38 »
the same happened to me a couple of weeks ago, still have a lot of catching up to do on the sowing front. i have since got hold of a proper polycarbonate greenhouse so far so good.

xx
Totally gutted

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 11:27
by richyrich7
xx
totally worthwhile

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 21:31
by peapod
xx
Totally depressed

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 10:50
by strangerachael
xx
Feeling totally down beat

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 16:00
by yummy

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 40 queries.