please help!!! I need to know how to move a apple tree?

• 3 Replies

for my dad apple tree

« on: February 15, 2008, 00:01 »
If anyone can help me with some advise on how to move a apple tree? My dad died in July 2007 and left my 15 year old son his apple tree if anything should happen to my mum, my mum has been told she as anyurism in her brain and has had to move in with us so i need to move this apple tree asap. i cant leave it their because it was my dad's and i dont want to kill it please if anyone can help tell me how the best way i would be so thankfull thanks maria :(

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 01:47 »
You don't say how old the tree is, which is a big factor. Nor if it's a dwarf variety or large 'standard' type.

If the tree is youngish and of the dwarf types, you can move it now while its still dormant. You'd soak the soil well (if not already soaked), dig all around the tree about 2 foot away from the trunk (a trench) then try to work down while angling in toward the trunk so that you have a root ball about  2-3 ft deep (1M). With help, carefully cut off any smaller roots still attached and shift onto a large piece of hessian or sheet of plastic and wrap.
the idea is to keep as much of the main root intact, otherwise the tree will suffer a lot. The new hole should be well dug with lots of compost dug in, watered well, and the tree fitted in at the same soil height as before. Water often all summer so the tree will recover.

If its a much bigger tree, then......

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 08:30 »
If it is bigger it will take longer to move.  

I've heard (but haven't used) a method where you cut the roots on one side close to the tree in the first winter - this encourages more root hair formation close in on that side.  The other side is left as normal and helps feed the tree that year.

Next year (winter) you cut close the other side and lift the tree out.  The new root hairs (and small roots) formed in the previous year close to the main trunk help the tree to survive after the move.

Water copiously etc for a year after re-planting.

Not an easy task.

What about asking a nursery man to take a graft or two from the tree?  That way you still have something of the tree should the move not work?  Just a thought.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 08:48 »
I moved a dwarf variety apple tree that had been in the ground only 1 year (long story why it had to be moved)  I was surprised how deep the roots had grown in that one year and unfortunately some broke.

Sadly, it did not survive :(   The grafting idea sounds good just in case the move doesn't work.  Perhaps get professional help to move it - they might have all the right tools and knowledge?
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
Move apple trees in pots to the allotment or just buy new?

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 12:57
by Goosegirl
xx
I need to move a bay tree........

Started by Sally A on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 19, 2007, 19:27
by WG.
xx
Downsizing on allotment space and need to move apple trees

Started by Runwell-Steve on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 12:27
by Runwell-Steve
xx
Move a Pear tree

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 03, 2016, 15:45
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 38 queries.