How tall will my peas grow?

• 20 Replies

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
How tall will my peas grow?
« on: February 26, 2012, 22:24 »
I am growing 2 types of pea this year, that I have not grown before.  I have no idea how tall they will grow.  The website I got them from also does not state how tall they grow.  The past few years when I have tried to grow any type of pea, the birds eat them before I get any peas.  So this year, I am going to grow them under frames, no matter how big the frame has to be.  The 2 types are:  Bijou' Giant Sugar Pea, and 'Golden Sweet' Yellow-Podded Mange-tout pea.  I got them from Realseeds.  Any info will be very much appreciated.
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How tall will my peas grow?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 22:30 »
mangetout usually grow4/5ft high, but if you really need to know - why don't you e-mail or phone Realseeds, they are very nice, helpful people  ;)

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 22:35 »
Thanks for the info mumofstig  :)  I can be pretty inpatient at times, I thought rather than email them and wait for a reply, I would see if anyone here knew the answers.  I mean there is a vast wealth of knowledge amongst the people here who I am learning from all the time. :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 23:18 »
Please let me know if you get a reply Growin as I'm growing them too (was just going to grow them in pots with 8ft canes).  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 23:35 »
Will do, Auntiemogs.  I am going to send them an email now.  I will post back when I get a reply  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 23:38 »
Ta hun.  :)

TheSpartacat

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 00:18 »
Hi, I've grown them both, (from realseeds) and yup, they are tall growing- About 5 ft tall.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 00:53 »
Thanks Spartacat.  :)

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:31 »
Hi, I've grown them both, (from realseeds) and yup, they are tall growing- About 5 ft tall.

Thanks for that, Spartacat  :)

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 01:44 »
You might want to consider putting netting over the pea crop against thieving birds, something similar to these pix:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69457.60

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35 »
Thanks for the advice,Trillium :).  That is why I wanted to know how tall they get, cos I am growing them in a frame, for that very reason  :D

I am growing 2 types of pea this year, that I have not grown before.  I have no idea how tall they will grow.  The website I got them from also does not state how tall they grow.  The past few years when I have tried to grow any type of pea, the birds eat them before I get any peas.  So this year, I am going to grow them under frames, no matter how big the frame has to be.  The 2 types are:  Bijou' Giant Sugar Pea, and 'Golden Sweet' Yellow-Podded Mange-tout pea.  I got them from Realseeds.  Any info will be very much appreciated.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41 »
Don't think that's the right link, Trill. Takes you to my diary where I say I've sowed some peas and the link within the link's been altered as well!

My general pea advice is here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.0

Just scale it up!

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 11:32 »
Looks good what you did, I will give that a go.  Looking at your first picture of the peas, that's about as far as mine have been getting before the birds have had them.  I cannot understand why they like mine, other people grow them unprotected on our site and they do fine and the birds leave them alone.  But mine seem to be a bird magnet.  Thanks for the help DD  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 11:40 »
Same here. The bloke on the next but one plot to me gets away with it. I have to net mine until they're no longer tasty shoots and again when the pods start to show.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 13:17 »
Same here. The bloke on the next but one plot to me gets away with it. I have to net mine until they're no longer tasty shoots and again when the pods start to show.
You do realise DD, that your plot is probably quite famous with birds by now.... they'll be coming for miles so they won't make the mistake of going to the plot nxt door.  You're probably doing everyone else a favour by getting yourself five stars in the "Fine Dining for Birds Handbook"
 :D

Auntiemogs, i can't find it now, but there was a blog where someone tried growing tall peas, i thinking goldensweet, in a pot up a tube of chicken wire, and it didn't work for them- They do grow quite densely so one side does get shaded out - all the peas insisted on growing towards towards the sunny side in a big tangled mess.... you'll have to be pretty insistent about tying them in, maybe rotating the pot a bit?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 13:18 by TheSpartacat »

xx
Tall peas

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2017, 10:29
by AnneB
xx
Tall peas

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 11, 2017, 17:45
by Pimento
xx
Protection for tall peas?

Started by Clover on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 18:28
by scaldow
xx
Support for tall peas

Started by taraxacum on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 16:50
by Salmo

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 40 queries.