I got an egg!!!

• 12 Replies

Selkie

I got an egg!!!
« on: January 05, 2008, 13:12 »
Our two hens haven't laid an egg in AGES so I was really surprised when I opened up their little house today and found an egg sitting on the straw!Does this mean that Spring is on its way? :D

I'm not sure which of the girls laid it, I was looking at them today and Daisy is showing signs of broodiness -- she's walking round chucking straw over her shoulder at a great rate.

I am so happy, I can't wait til Peter comes home from work and I can show it to him -- it's that ''first egg feeling'' all over again :D

It isn't the best of timing though, as I already had 10 'bought' eggs, and Peter's going away for a week tomorrow (and I don't really eat that many eggs), but it made my day to find a 'real' egg today.

ness

• Experienced Member
I got an egg!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 13:18 »
Grrrrrr am totally jealous... :lol:  :lol:   Well done to hen responsible, now if she wouldn't mind sending some "laying" vibes to mine please!!  I am yet to have that first egg feeling let alone all over again, lucky you!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
I got an egg!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 13:19 »
Keep them to chuck at passing neighbours you don't like, Rose!  :lol:

Selkie

I got an egg!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 17:00 »
:roll:I've been in and out today, checking for a second egg (typical woman, never happy) but no sign of the other hen laying.

Fat Hen

I got an egg!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 21:58 »
Hhm :!:   Congrats (slightly peeved & reluctant) :lol: .  

Mine are going other way, after laying quite well till Christmas they are now slowing down & laying fewer eggs over last couple of weeks.

Selkie

I got an egg!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 22:32 »
Oh please don't anyone be peeved!

I've been waiting ages and ages for this egg -- Peter kept making comments that it was a good thing that we're vegetarians otherwise the hens would have gone in the pot when they stopped laying.

Fat Hen

I got an egg!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 23:47 »
Quote from: "rosemarycallsthegoddess"
Oh please don't anyone be peeved!

I've been waiting ages and ages for this egg -- Peter kept making comments that it was a good thing that we're vegetarians otherwise the hens would have gone in the pot when they stopped laying.

Not really peeved, but I reckon my hens think that now Christmas is behind us the danger of ending up roast is past. :lol:

And are now on holiday :lol:

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
I got an egg!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 09:07 »
hi

I remember when we got our first egg we only had the hens 2 days we couldnt believe it, we have 3 of them laying at the moment :D
pauline

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
I got an egg!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 10:13 »
I expect no one is laying the other will too, it seems that way with mine.  My dear gold lace orpington Delilah has been laying as well and they are not good for eggs as a rule.  She has laid 3 so far (only just started laying as she is young)  

Its so sweet she waits for me to go in the greenhouse and sits on the bench and chatters to me while I stroke her as she lays :? I think she needs the reassurance of me being there, I went off to clean out the ducks yesterday and she gave up on it as if to say if you won't keep me company no egg for you :cry:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
I got an egg!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 10:13 »
must be something bout the new year rosie. i cant remember the last time i saw a fresh egg.

then this moring, there it was, a bit elongated but who cares. it really does feel like getting that very first egg all over again.

did you get another one today?

Selkie

I got an egg!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:17 »
Yay! Congrats on your egg Babe :D  

Our one was a bit smaller than usual, but like you I'm not complaining!!

Selkie

I got an egg!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 12:08 »
:D I had another egg today  :D  After so many months with none it feels like a major miracle to have had one on two consecutive days.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
I got an egg!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 12:10 »
woo hoo !

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 38 queries.