solar auto-darkening welding helmet

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

solar auto-darkening welding helmet
« on: January 27, 2011, 18:06 »
I've just received a solar auto-darkening welding helmet for my grandchildren as a birthday pressie i havent used one of these helmets before i always use a hand held mask
i believe they are supposed to be very good for welding and that eliminates the ark eye problem :unsure:

i have read the instructions and as i understand there is a scale to set the helmet to what your welding if anyone uses these type of helmets what would be the best setting for ark welding in your opinion and can i keep the same setting for MiG welding  :unsure:

a bit of sound advise on this subject would be much appreciated as i said i have always used a hand held mask i could seem to get on with flip type i don't do much welding only the easy bits although i have asked on this site previously about my MiG welder [coated wire ] that you replied to that was a good help now ime asking for some advise again from those of you who know about these such things  :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: solar auto-darkening welding helmet
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 18:13 »
sorry we always use the hand held masks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 18:20 »
During my time as a maintenance engineer I've used these and after the 'normal' type they are magic.  no more striking around trying or hoping you hit the correct spot.  The adjusting dial is for the resultant darkness!  You will only set it for yourself by the good old  'suck it and see'  method.  I've used it on both stick and mig welding.    Lucky man.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 05:17 »
I use mine for both arc and MiG. I'd agree that it varies from job to job.
The only drawback I have found with them is that if Arc welding outdoors, the sunshine can keep the viewing panel black, so you have to flip the helmet up to be able to see what you're doing after you've finished the weld.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:28 »
many thanks all for your help and advise much appreciated
                                                                                              RW

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 17:24 »
I cured gwizz'z problem by gluing a bit of black material to the back of the headgear.  I think the dial is for reaction time and not darkness as I said before.   Cheers,   Tony.

smud6ie

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:31 »
I cured gwizz'z problem by gluing a bit of black material to the back of the headgear.  I think the dial is for reaction time and not darkness as I said before.   Cheers,   Tony.

These have come down in price dramatically over recent years,enough so for me to buy one :)
On mine the dial is definately for shades of darkness which I adjust on the fly,I start at darkest and turn dial slowly towards lighter setting until I  can see what I am doing.
It sure beats the hell out of the mig tacking tecnique of, torch in one hand piece to welded in the other,shut eyes and strike ;)  :lol:
It says on the box mine came in:

Light state shade Din3(4)
Variable shade Din 9-13
Shade Din 16UV/IR Protection
Light to Dark 1/20000 seconds
Dark to Light Min 0.25-0.35 seconds

smud6ie

xx
welding

Started by andyk on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 19:16
by andyk
xx
A welding job

Started by Flower on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2007, 00:09
by muntjac
xx
Welding my frame?

Started by Green man on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 18:28
by rickman
xx
auto vent

Started by stompy on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2006, 22:52
by John

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.