Potato fertiliser

• 12 Replies

Elaine G

Potato fertiliser
« on: March 26, 2017, 15:59 »
Is there any advantage in buying a specific fertiliser for potatoes?

It is relatively inexpensive - I think poundland have some - but I do have chicken pellets, and somewhere :) I have BFB.
I am always mystified by fertilisers and NPK, so any advice what to use would be appreciated.

Thank you, Elaine.

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Potato fertiliser
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 16:07 »
We always use it but we get it from an allotment shop in a big 25 kg sack for about £ 11

Gellideg

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 16:43 »
Hi Elaine.Perhaps I can help.NPK fertiliser consists of Nitrogen for leaf growth,Phosphate and Potash for root growth.Potatoes love potash firstly then phosphate and small amounts of nitrogen as too much will only produce lush haulm(tops).I use 12-11-18 fertiliser,and large amounts of farm yard manure for extra p and k.I have grown c15 acres of pots when I was farming every year and still find it a good yardstick in my veg garden now I am an oldie.I hope this helps,John.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 19:36 »
Gellideg has access to farmers fertiliser which is much more concentrated than the stuff in garden centres. Potato fertiliser is usually about N-P-K  7-7-12. Chicken pellets are usually something like 4-2-1 which has the wrong ratio of nutrients for potatoes and will grow lots of tops.

The approach I use is to give the whole plot a basic dressing of growmore and then add other nutrients as required. e.g. add sulphate of ammonia, or chicken pellets for leaf crops like brassicas, add sulphate of potash for root crops like potatoes.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 23:47 »
I start them off with chicken pellets to get the haulms growing then switch to comfrey tea.

victoria park

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 00:50 »
I'm another for chicken pellets followed by comfrey.
But this year I have spied 1.5Kg of organic phosphate rich "potato fertiliser" in Poundland. Cheap enough, so am giving that a go as an experiment on one half of the crop in place of the comfrey.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 02:57 »
rotted compost dug in during the winter and pelleted chicken manure sprinkles at planting time.... seems to do the trick for me but different soil types may make a difference.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Elaine G

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 10:49 »
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have no access to 'proper' manure or comfrey, so I will investigate the potato fertilisers and purchase one of those.

Elaine

ghost61

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 11:53 »
Last year I experimented with proper farmers' potato fertiliser and Poundlands own brand.  Result?  Big pots with both, I do though have quite a rich soil so probably the fertilisers were not that important?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 19:02 »
Last year I experimented with proper farmers' potato fertiliser and Poundlands own brand.  Result?  Big pots with both, I do though have quite a rich soil so probably the fertilisers were not that important?

I don't think you can necessarily conclude that the fertilisers had no impact.  All that it demonstrates is that, in similar growing conditions, the expensive one had the same impact as the cheap one.  Given that they will have similar proportions of the NPK nutrients, perhaps that isn't surprising.

Unless you do a controlled experiment with the same variety but using no fertiliser and a fertiliser, in the same growing conditions, you can't conclude that the fertiliser had no impact.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

solway cropper

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 22:28 »
I had a look at some of that poundland potato fertilizer today and from the NPK ratios I'd say it was a long way from being potato specific. More to the point it has over 9 percent calcium oxide which would be like adding lime to your spud beds....a sure way to encourage scab. Brassicas would be the best use for it in my opinion. Or you could save a quid and  get some real potato fertilizer such as Vitax.

Elaine G

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 23:28 »
solway cropper you must be psychic!

We went to Poundland today and could not find any potato fertiliser.
Spent money in other shops, as you do. Found a lovely jacket for grandson.
Anyway hubby got fed up of looking in shops :) and drove me to the garden centre where I bought some Vitax potato fertiliser. Glad I got the right thing.

Thanks
Elaine

question
Potato Fertiliser.

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 26, 2009, 13:14
by Aidy
xx
Potato fertiliser

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2010, 20:52
by shokkyy
xx
potato fertiliser

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 09:10
by bigben
xx
Do you use a potato fertiliser?

Started by kippers garden on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 12:53
by azubah

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 40 queries.