What's this?

• 19 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
What's this?
« on: March 18, 2017, 13:08 »
Any ideas what these belong to? Am currently weeding around the veg garden and keep finding these in the soil. They don't appear to be attached to stems or foliage, but are very brittle, creamy coloured "roots" or "runners"?? The area where I'm digging had a lot of nettles previously, but they don't look like the nettle roots, which are much darker yellow and more fibrous. There are other annual and perennial weeds in the vicinity, (dandelion, thistles, bindweed, dock and couch grass) plus an old raspberry patch of Autumn fruiting variety.
image.jpeg

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: What's this?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 13:18 »
I would guess at couch grass. do they have pointy ends?
otherwise bindweed!
both difficult to dig out completely.
Spraying an option when there is top growth.

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 13:36 »
Yes, green jay, where I have seen an end, they do appear to be pointed. Couch grass it is then. Our garden is next to a field so it's very difficult to control some of these interlopers, but it's helpful to know what they are, at least.  :). Many thanks.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 14:07 »
Hi Rookie I agree that it looks like couch grass. Be aware that you need to dig the roots out carefully, try to get out as much as possible if they snap and you leave some in the ground they will regrow I am afraid.😱😱

Good luck
HH
Keep digging

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 14:18 »
Yes, HH. Think I'll need that luck - the pieces snap off very easily, so think it's probably a case of learning to live with it to some degree.   

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 14:50 »
Either couch grass, or my nemesis - bind weed roots :ohmy:

spadework

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 16:40 »
A vote for bindweed from me too but the white flowered hedge kind not the pink flowered field one. (couch isn't so brittle that it snaps in the way you describe).

I have the same thing on a plot I'm clearing now. I have dug out every piece I can find and will spot treat the inevitable regrowth with glyphosate.  :)

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 17:41 »
Interesting, Spadework. I do recall seeing the white flowered bindweed climbing up the raspberry canes in that area last year. Will see how I get on with the digging and then treat whatever pops up.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 19:15 »
I would say bindweed root. I get it everywhere! It is easy enough to pull out when the soil is damp at least

Mum2mj

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 21:44 »
I would also say bindwind something I'm unfortunately very familiar with 😩

victoria park

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 00:05 »
Them being brittle would  suggest thistle roots to me. Couch and bind weed tend to hold together when pulled. And thistles certainly congregate in concentrated areas due to their propagation style.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 00:07 by victoria park »

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 07:46 »
They're bind weed roots (common bindweed not field bindweed). Couch roots have visible segments with root growth from each junction.
Dig out what you can then keep hoeing or pulling up any new growth from bits you'll inevitably miss. It can't live indefinitely without it's leaves.
Glypho does work to a degree on common bindweed but with larger clumps the roots will nip themselves off leaving a semi-dormant knot of spaghetti like roots.

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 13:12 »
Thanks all.  :D

sarajane

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 19:33 »
Definitely bindweed.  I've just spent the other day digging the stuff out of the border, all intertwined with other roots and yes it snaps off.  Even the tiniest bit left will regrow so this will be zapped with weedkiller. It will come back I can guarantee sorry so keep at it to weaken the growth.

stompy

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 07:57 »
Looks like assparagus roots to me!

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 40 queries.