Chicken Coop?

• 7 Replies

3mmett29

Chicken Coop?
« on: March 09, 2009, 20:23 »
Hey i am thinking of getting around 3 chickens. And looking at a chicken coop. I have seen a couple on ebay LINK
How many would this hold? And is it any good?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 20:29 by Vember »

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Chicken Coop?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 20:29 »
Why don't you pop over to the "welcome" forum and introduce yourself.  It's also a good idea to put your location in your profile for more tailored answers.
Cheese makes everything better.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 20:45 »
hiya , i would say 2-3 normal sized birds in there , but maybe 4 or 5 of the smaller breeds . would your birds have access to free range if they did not you could maybe extend the run on that one to make it larger for them . i have been lucky that i was able to build a large 10 m by 6 m run for my girls someone with more experiece will come on soon an tell u more .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

3mmett29

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 20:49 »
ye they would have acess to free range

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 20:53 »
I would say the sleeping area is enough for 2 small birds but the run is very small. And headroom is always a problem in arks.

If they try to flap their wings, they'll touch the sides.

I would personally stick with a box type coop and a bigger run.

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 21:52 »
I have one of these -just for summer use only as a broody house. You could use it for a trio of bantams -who have access to free-ranging.
We are going to put weldmesh on the bottom to prevent anything digging in. Particulary as we would use it for a broody and her chicks.

Stree

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 22:08 »
as a night shelter for up to 3 chickens  that get on with each other, it would do.  It looks more like a great sized run for guinea pigs, or  a rabbit, but not a home for poultry, that plus a garden to roam in  would be OK, but that without much of a run will give you stressed birds.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 22:19 »
It's very similar to the one we have 2 hybrids sleeping in at the moment, but as soon as I go out in the morning I open the door and they free range the garden.    It might be okay with a much larger run, but I wouldn't put 3 chickens in there. As it is I had to take the small nest box out as it was in the way, and there really isn't room for a perch.

Rosie and Mary sleep on the shavings.  Well Rosie sleeps on the shavings and for some strange reason, Mary sleeps on top of her!!!! lol

You can see where I need to prop the doors shut with wood as when the wood is dry they fall out, no hinges and the catches are c***.  We bought the 2 arks  to show people who enquired about housing, but now I use them to tell people what not to buy!  :)  The polysheet helps keep the rain off the run a bit in case I'm a bit late out in the morning!
DSCF0018 (3).JPG
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 22:22 by GrannieAnnie »

xx
Chicken coop

Started by Chris B on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 08:22
by Dominic
xx
chicken coop

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 15:22
by Beano
question
DIY Chicken Coop

Started by Muckytyke on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 19:55
by birmancats
xx
Chicken coop?

Started by 3mmett29 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 09:11
by shiatsusu

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 39 queries.