What's eating my brassicas?

• 10 Replies

Barlume

What's eating my brassicas?
« on: February 12, 2016, 13:58 »
I put out some cauli/cabbage/sprouting broccoli last november. A bit late but I spotted them on a garden center shelf and could not resist. So I tried. They grew fine over winter and they are now tripled their size. Most of them at least. Problem is the smallest have been heavily attacked by something and can't figure out what it is.
Some leaves have been eaten completely, others have huge holes.
They are netted, so it can't be birds. I doubt it's cabbage fly as it's not the right season and cannot see caterpillars around. Can it be slugs? Don't see any around but who knows...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 14:09 by Barlume »

BabbyAnn

Re: What's eating my brassicas?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 14:01 »
slugs ... up until recently the weather has been very mild, enough for them to come out and feast  >:(  They will shelter under cover when temperatures drop so probably one of the reasons you haven't seen them around (turn a few rocks over, maybe wood lying around / plastic sheeting etc where they may be hiding)

Barlume

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 14:07 »
Ahhhhh! Thanks BabbyAnn !!
I am still clearing the plot (got my allotment only 1,5 years ago, in a very horrible state) and my goal is to get rid of everything. I only want to see bare ground, where hopefully these horrible creatures have no place to hide!
This year I will also try nematodes. Pellets don't really work and I am fed up of working hard to only provide them with nice meals grrrr....

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 16:24 »
I am still clearing the plot (got my allotment only 1,5 years ago, in a very horrible state) and my goal is to get rid of everything. I only want to see bare ground, where hopefully these horrible creatures have no place to hide!

... I'm afraid slugs and snails will find ways.  Some even live in the soil itself, and despite their apparent slow speed, most can travel a fair distance in a single night.

Barlume

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 16:58 »
 :dry: not happy!
Would you recommend a specific way to deter them? I don't really know what else to do:(. Thanks!

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 19:21 »
I had the same problem ,though is was slugs ,but on closer inspection it was caterpillars ,big green ones.  This was middle of January .
bazial

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 19:25 »
It wouldn't surprise me to see caterpillars - we've had quite a mild winter here.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 19:26 »
There have certainly been slugs around all winter as there hasn't been any cold weather. It's been mild and wet. Last winter was the same so we have a build up of the blighters.

If, like me, you are on clay soil nematodes don't work.

al78

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 12:13 »
I normally go out at night with a torch and a pair of scissors, and go snip snip snip to anything that looks like it is about to ruin my crop. Alongside that, an occasional scattering of (organic) slug pellets. That keeps the damage down, nothing will eliminate it entirely, most of the slugs are underground so you can never deal with more than a small percentage of the population at a time.

2016-02-13_18.09.55.jpg

Barlume

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 19:39 »
Thanks everyone, I see I am not the o ly one with this problem.
I have inspected the plants again and could not see any caterpillars. I am prone to think slugs.
Night rounds it's not an option unfortunately, but will look for organic pellets and will turn every rock hunting for them. I will win this war!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 17:38 by Barlume »

Christine

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 07:52 »
Organic slug pellets are considered generally to be not effective. Beer traps better unless you go for expensive beer. I've tried all sorts and gone back to the blue pellet of death which work as nigh visits are out for me too.

xx
What could be eating my brassicas?

Started by plot103 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 08:59
by BabbyAnn
clip
Something eating my Brassicas

Started by Peter Crowther on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 11:11
by 4th season allot
xx
What's eating my brassicas?!

Started by martinofmoscow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 15:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Brassicas

Started by raydee on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 09, 2018, 15:21
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 37 queries.