New Chicken Keeper

• 7 Replies

AndyRVTR

New Chicken Keeper
« on: October 23, 2008, 21:53 »
Hi all, I am preparing to build my shed for my chucks, and although my dad used to have loads of hens, I have never managed any of my own.
I am looking to buy POL probably around January, and will probably start with 1/2 dozen, a few questions I have are:

1. How much food per hen per day
2. What to feed them on for a complete diet, ie corn, pellets, mash
3. Do they need grit all the time
4. Any recommended brands

To be honest I'm not very well educated about keeping chickens and any help and advice would be appreciated

Vember

New Chicken Keeper
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 22:07 »
Hi Andy

I've just had a look in one of my books for amount per bird as I just know how much don't weigh it :), Katie Thear recommends the average hybrid will eat about 130g of compound feed a day that being Layers pellets. But obviously  bigger birds need more. Also those free ranging have a higher intake :)

I give mine layers pellets in the morning & mixed corn in the afternoon, the corn helps them keep warm & on nights like tonight they need it  :lol:

Grit & Oyster shell (later important for calcium) should be available all the time.

Brands wise I use Farm gate :)

There's loads more great info here http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=19629 :)

Hope thats some help :D

Sarah :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New Chicken Keeper
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 22:08 »
Hi Andy they will need approx 4 1/2 Oz's a day of feed depends on breed etc.
We have some brilliant peices written in the Poultry Information section. You will probably find all the answers you need in there  :D  look out for Bodgers Buying hens article and Muntjacs Hen keeping one, Ace articles from two blokes who know hens. And then there's Aunty's Parasite thread  :shock:

If your unsure just ask away some one will know
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Knight Family

New Chicken Keeper
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 22:11 »
andy you wont regret it!

I've now got 8 birds and so far have 20kg corn, 20kg Mash and 20kg Pellets, which they get a mixture once per day (plus treat the OH gives them).

I think the food should last about 2-3 months i think.

With reference the breads go hybrids or even ex batts there friendly and cheap (can be troubles but I've never had any.).
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Bodger

New Chicken Keeper
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:42 »
I'd always recommend POL rather than worn out battery hens. I know its a 'nice' idea to try and save these birds but they have basically been mistreated and run into the ground and can come with the excess baggage from their previous lifestyle.
I don't think its being selfish in anyway to start with healthy chickens that have a full productive life ahead of them, especially if you're new to keeping chickens. You can always console yourself with the thought that if you didn't by them, they might otherwise be destined for a life in intensive farming.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
New Chicken Keeper
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:49 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
I'd always recommend POL rather than worn out battery hens. I know its a 'nice' idea to try and save these birds but they have basically been mistreated and run into the ground and can come with the excess baggage from their previous lifestyle.
I don't think its being selfish in anyway to start with healthy chickens that have a full productive life ahead of them, especially if you're new to keeping chickens. You can always console yourself with the thought that if you didn't by them, they might otherwise be destined for a life in intensive farming.

:thumleft: great advice

compostqueen

New Chicken Keeper
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 13:34 »
I got POL's in April, fully vaccinated and lovely and healthy.. I've been out with them today clearing leaves off the lawn and they've followed my every move, diving in every few seconds, bug hunting  :D  They've laid loads of eggs and I'm really happy with them.  I went to a reputable local dealer to get them  :D

woodburner

New Chicken Keeper
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 13:41 »
IMHO free range don't eat more than hens in runs. In fact in the summer those of mine that were free range hardly touched their feed.
I expect closely confined chickens eat less as they haven't got room to do much running around but hopefully none of us on here go to those lengths to keep feed bills down.  :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
New Chicken Keeper

Started by Dottyaussie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 20:17
by bantam novice
xx
Help for a new chicken keeper please

Started by What Allot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 21:18
by nzdunn
xx
New chicken keeper, almost!

Started by hamsterhead on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 11:15
by ANHBUC
smiley
Newbie chicken keeper

Started by Dizzee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 20:39
by Dizzee

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 36 queries.