Parsnips, yet again

• 18 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Parsnips, yet again
« on: May 17, 2017, 21:21 »
I realise this is a perennial question, but how long do other forum members wait until they give up on the parsnips they sowed last month and then rake over the old area/bed/drill and resow?

Another question, could I be losing my parsnips to slugs as soon as they pop there little heads out of the ground? If so, the slugs are very particular as the annual weeds that invariably come up where I sowed the parsnip are untouched

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Parsnips, yet again
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 21:27 »
At what point last month did you sow them, and how often were you watering them during the dry spell?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 07:09 »
A month would be plenty of time for me, especially if it has been cold.

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 07:28 »

While slugs certainly always have a pop at my carrot seedlings as they emerge, they do seem to give my parsnips a wider berth. Don't know why.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 08:48 »
They were new seed and I sowed them on 18th April and kept them watered. We never had the sharp frosts that other areas of the country had either. Night-time lows of 3 or 4C usually followed daytime highs of 12 or 13C

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 09:24 »
Sometimes it's hard to tell whether seeds are a no-show, or have been nobbled before you even got to see them, especially slow germinators like parsnip.

The soil temperature germination chart shows the optimum soil temperature for parsnip germination is 20C (14 days), whereas at 5C it's 57 days, which is an awfully long wait, and of course increases the chances of the seeds rotting in the soil.

I used to sow in April and re-sow after 4 weeks if necessary - nowadays I sow round about now and hope for the best (still takes 3-4 weeks.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 09:27 »
Parsnip can take a good 30 days or so to germinate. You have to be patient.
I had some sowed outside around 21st April and they just came up a few days ago.
I also planted a load in the greenhouse mid march and they took 20-25 days to germinate, now planted and growing well.
Mine are White Gem and Tender & true varieties.

fatferret

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 10:20 »
My parsnips took an age to emerge this year and I had given up hope. I was annoyed as I used fresh seed etc... But they took almost a month to show. Looking ok now.

Carrots came inside a week and the slugs have been all over them. Gonna grow some in a barrel with copper tape around it. Neve

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 10:59 »
Oh, to hell with them. I'll hoe the whole two rows and start again.

victoria park

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 17:44 »
You don't have to hoe Alan. Just leave the rows as they are and sow on top with a half inch of compost over the seed. That way you might get both.  Whatever it is, do it now.
I had unusual problems with my parsnips this year with my normal method of paper pots. I sowed a row direct as an insurance crop on 3 May and one or two have actually made an appearance today, 15 days. I watered lightly every day, lightly, not heavy as parsnip seeds easily float to the surface and end their days. Seeds shouldn't take a month this time of year.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 17:55 by victoria park »

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 18:07 »
Too late. I've hoed over the two rows and re-sown the blessed things. Put slug pellets down as an additional safeguard too.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 19:00 »
You don't have to hoe Alan. Just leave the rows as they are and sow on top with a half inch of compost over the seed. That way you might get both.  Whatever it is, do it now.
I had unusual problems with my parsnips this year with my normal method of paper pots. I sowed a row direct as an insurance crop on 3 May and one or two have actually made an appearance today, 15 days. I watered lightly every day, lightly, not heavy as parsnip seeds easily float to the surface and end their days. Seeds shouldn't take a month this time of year.

Now that is a good idea! I sowed my parsnips on 9th April and with six plants out of 70 seeds I am feeling a bit disappointed. I have another packet so will "oversow" at the weekend
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gobs

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 01:43 »
I have for many years now settled on the late, May sowing ones, like Hollow Crown.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

lettice

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 07:49 »
Too late. I've hoed over the two rows and re-sown the blessed things. Put slug pellets down as an additional safeguard too.

Always wise to put slug pellets down.
But never known parsnips ever being attacked by slugs or snails or really anything ever attacking my parsnips.
Do cover my parsnips while they are germinating and growing, as its an incentive with such bare ground for so long for the birds, cats, foxes etc to maybe have a walk over or a little dig.

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 17:41 »
I assume it is slugs that have devoured all my carrots and parsnips.  They had all germinated too and were coming alomg nicely.  I now have about 4'solitary carrots.  Grrrrr. 

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 08:33
by Longshanks
xx
parsnips

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 14:47
by strangerachael
xx
What's up with my parsnips

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 22:08
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 40 queries.