Your biggest 2016 disappointment

• 40 Replies

ptarmigan

Re: Your biggest 2016 disappointment
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 14:07 »
Pumpkins - only one survived to any size.  And about 4 courgettes and a marrow. 

Strawberries and blackcurrants are fab though.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 19:20 »
Lost all but one summer cabbages (cutting it this weekend)
Lost all romanesco and most broccoli plants.
Lost all swedes and turnips.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

chillimummy

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 11:02 »
Suash seeds. Sowed two lots as no germination first time. Minimal germination second time and what grew when planted was eaten by slugs  :(
So no squash at all!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 12:31 »
Courgettes. Again... :nowink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 13:26 »
Shallots - Golden Gourmet, grown from the same initial stock for at least 10 years, and by far the most disappointing so far.

Last year they copped for allium leaf miner for the first time but grew through it - this year they were so weak and spindly it was hard to tell whether they'd been attacked or not!  ::)

Only about 4 plants out of 30 sets produced anything like usable shallots, the rest divided OK but the bulbs were no bigger than the originals.

Will have a long think about whether to use them next year (I'm a bit paranoid about the risk of importing white rot with any new bought sets.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 17:25 »
I've not logged on for a while, my 'grow your own' has been the usual disappointment.  :(

Garlic                             not a single head survived
Broad Beans                 about  2 lbs from 24 plants
PSB                               replacement from last years non producers.....nothing, even the Cabbage White didn't
                                     bother.
Japanese Onions          about 75% survived & grew to the size of a squash ball
Courgettes                   2 from 2 plants
Strawberries                 about 1 lb from ~ 30 plants
Raspberries                  about a small yogurt pot full from 3 plants
Cherries                        not one single fruit
Tomatoes                      starting to ripen & will get about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs from 7 plants
Runner Beans               Firestorm has been good when they finally got going

My biggest disappointment, growing veg  :( :(

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 17:48 »
Shallots - Golden Gourmet, grown from the same initial stock for at least 10 years, and by far the most disappointing so far.

Last year they copped for allium leaf miner for the first time but grew through it - this year they were so weak and spindly it was hard to tell whether they'd been attacked or not!  ::)

Only about 4 plants out of 30 sets produced anything like usable shallots, the rest divided OK but the bulbs were no bigger than the originals.

Will have a long think about whether to use them next year (I'm a bit paranoid about the risk of importing white rot with any new bought sets.)

Could you grow them from seed?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Salmo

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 18:07 »

After a few years shallots build up virus and the stock needs replacing. The most dangerous replacements are from a friend. Stock from any reputable supplier should be safe.

I have found that golden gourmet do best planted quite late in the Spring i.e. March/April. Mine were hit with downy mildew this year so only made picklers. I will replace as downy mildew can be carried over.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 21:08 »

Cultivated blackberries Fantasia, dreadful taste this year, did not get to pick any as someone nicked the lot!

Rabbits, rabbits and more rabbits,I have a 4 foot high chicken wire fence around my plot, but they jumped over it and ate everything that germinated, carrots, parsnips, peas, beans, beetroot, lettuce and even gladioli leaves as they emerged!

They hid in the potato rows, in the rhubarb patch and under the blackberries bushes!

One jumped over the fence into the next plot, right into the jaws of his terrier, one shake was all it got he said!

Now they are all over the paths, just sitting there, they have been badly infected by myxi, should be less of them about next year!
STOP, and smell the roses!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 09:51 »

Rabbits, rabbits and more rabbits,I have a 4 foot high chicken wire fence around my plot, but they jumped over it and ate everything that germinated, carrots, parsnips, peas, beans, beetroot, lettuce and even gladioli leaves as they emerged!

My veg plot is in a rabbit infested area too but I've found that a I metre wire mesh fence buried about 20cm into the ground, ie just about 2ft 6" above ground, has kept them out for the past ten years

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 13:36 »

Could you grow them from seed?

Yes, that should avoid any imported disease problems, but of course you only get one bulb per station in the first year rather than the half dozen or so with sets, and I've not got a lot of space to play with.

After a few years shallots build up virus and the stock needs replacing. The most dangerous replacements are from a friend. Stock from any reputable supplier should be safe.

That's a possibility I'd not thought about with shallots - may have to bite the bullet and buy new sets next year.

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 13:50 »
Beetroots completely decimated by voles. Tops somehow still 'growing' on some of them, but the beetroot almost eaten away. Same voles have tunnelled under my leeks and eaten them too. They've also eaten the centres/root of the Swiss Chard. And something (still don't know what) stripped my peas - I posted about that earlier this year and still haven't got over it!
And all my brassicas have leaves like lace doillies. Not quite sure what we'll be eating this winter  :unsure:

jambop

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 23:46 »
Yellow haricot beans which whilst very prolific they were just not as well flavoured as the green ones so they won't be grown next year.

Beekissed

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2016, 04:51 »
This whole season was pretty much a bust but if I had to think of the biggest disappointment in the garden, it was sweet onions.  Planted around 700 seeds and around 300 started plants and have not one onion to show.  Not a one. 

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2016, 09:39 »
First time in 60 years I had repeated losses of my Runner Beans.  Twice I Put out my pot sown varieties, twice I bought plants at an exorbitant price.  Despite glass, nets, bird scarers, and scoot; rabbits and jackdaws cleared the lot.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

xx
Greenhouse disappointment

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post August 18, 2014, 14:15
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Compost disappointment

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 03, 2016, 10:19
by ARPoet
xx
Spud disappointment

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 01:03
by gavinjconway
xx
newbie disappointment

Started by lizziemac on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 22:46
by Togalosh

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 40 queries.