i am taking to much of a risk

• 3 Replies

karlooben

i am taking to much of a risk
« on: February 06, 2009, 18:38 »
some of u know  that i am looking at building another run on my first plot { when i get the chance to measure an give plans to the council for permission } . well i now have more customers so i would love to rescue 5 more ex batts  but they would have to go in with the old girls . i would section of 6 metre by 2 or 3 metre section that has the small shed in it so the new girls could go in there for a few weks first but i am wandering if i am risking it to much by putting them so close to the other girls . in total i would end up with 23 girls in a 10 m by 6 m run and in time probably the summer now i will be building pallet top walkways come shelters around the main fencing of the run to give them more space on different levels so i think 23 would be ok in there. what u reckon peeps  :)
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
Re: i am taking to much of a risk
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 21:47 »
At my local farm they have a barn with two hen houses which are connected by pop holes (they are closed most of the time) they lead out to their own runs (outside). They are different ages and breeds so I cannot see why you couldn't do the same.

I think they would love the different levels. My four ladies love sitting on the nesting boxes and coop. We are thinking of building a mini obstacle course for them to add hight and interest for them and us.

The only problem I can forsee if they are ill it may get difficult to look after lots of poorly hens (I'm sure others can advise).

Having the run separate and accessible would enable you to take out any that get picked on.

Hope this helps

pushrod

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 00:11 »
i always reckon understocking is better than overstocking.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:20 »
well i am planning on building another run an house on my first plot  but i need to give the plans to the council first to get the all clear , that run will be about  5 m by 3 m . so in time some of the girls will go in there .

someone did say to me about overstocking , as when the girls are ill it can spread very very fast .

xx
FOX - should I risk it?

Started by tortzblue on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 09:52
by tortzblue
xx
How high is the risk???

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 22:09
by shetan
xx
Salmonella risk

Started by shaggybfc on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 15:34
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Salmonella Risk - Duck Eggs

Started by darrena on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 10:11
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.