Flaming Greenhouses!!!

• 17 Replies

triage999

Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« on: February 21, 2007, 17:21 »
After 2 days of hard work, cursing etc me and my 14 year old daughter have almost completed the huge task of reassembling our second hand 8x7 greenhouse.

We just have the glass to do tomorrow, the door is on and glassed and sliding which is a good start!

I am really impressed that me and my daughter were able to do it without having to wait for my hubby  :D

However the new W clips we have bought to hold in the glass are awful, they dont hold it properly at all, the old ones are so much better at holding in the glass in place.

The only thing is though it don't half hurt trying to clip them in, I think we will be there for quite a while tomorrow :(

milkman

Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 17:37 »
If you can lay your hands on a pair of pliers this may make the task less painful.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 18:18 »
Oh Gawd, we're glazing our 8x6 at the weekend...  The glass clips that came with it are impossible, so I've just ordered 200 W clips, so I hope they are OK  :?  I have got pliers on my (pretty purple) Leatherman, though, which makes it a lot easier...

Bigbadfrankie

Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 18:25 »
My Second hand G/house had clips which hugged the frame. To get them off required so much effort they bent out of shape. As with all my equipment new one's went out of production when Henry the 8th died. :?
So i used silicone and forced the ultra modern "w" clip to fit. Now the silicone is dry the glass is well and truly stuck on. I don't think the clips do much more than provide decoration.
always have a target
and an objective.

shaun

Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 19:14 »
a flat head screw driver works fine
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mercury

Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 19:19 »
Make sure you put the roof glass in first triage, and wear gloves :)  :)

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 21:21 »
I found needle nose pliers work the best.  :)

stu_wat

Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 21:28 »
First time I read the title of this thread I thought some one had set fire to your greenhouse  :lol:

triage999

Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 08:40 »
Set fire to  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I will not be doing a lot today by the looks of it as yet again it is peeing down and blowing a gale  :(

I wanted this finished for the start of my week off, Looks as though I will get it finished just as I am about to go back  :roll:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 10:27 »
Just a thought and hopefully not an after thought, this me the Optician speaking, dont forget saftey spex or goggles, seen to many eye injurys where people are just doing a little job, them w clips can cause a small glass splinter and if gets in eye, well you cant use a mbig magnet to get that out.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

wellingtons

Oh I've doodles ...
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 10:29 »
... of W clips and other clips and panes of glass if anyone needs em ... cos da barstewards just nicked da aluminium frame of mine ... *wails*

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Re: Oh I've doodles ...
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 11:47 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"
... of W clips and other clips and panes of glass if anyone needs em ... cos da barstewards just nicked da aluminium frame of mine ... *wails*

Arrrghhh! For you!  What use is the frame alone or do they get cash for the aluminium?

Looking forward to seeing pics of the other greenhouses all assembled! :)
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

ytyynycefn

Re: Oh I've doodles ...
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 22:24 »
Quote from: "wellingtons"

:cry: I rang the glass merchant near me today for a price on 24" panes - £5.50 a go!!!  Couldn't believe it.  I'm about seven panes short already, so I'm doing the bottom two foot all the way round with wood.  That'll learn 'em...

muntjac

Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 23:07 »
dont stop thier  mel call double glazing place they take windows out and recycle em i only pay £1.50  up to £2 as sheet form 24 x 24  recycled
still alive /............

ytyynycefn

Flaming Greenhouses!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 13:33 »
Thanks Munty, I'll try that - there's a DG place on the same industrial estate.

The bottom panes all the way round will definitely be plywood though, as I don't have quite enough intact glass.  We thought it would be a good idea anyway, as 1) we're having soil borders; 2) we've got a three year old, and 3) there's only a narrow walkway between the GH and shed to get to the water butt, and knowing me, I'll stick my size nines through the bottom panes!  I figured that as a lot of greenhouses have brick or wood up to that sort of height anyway, it wouldn't hurt my growing chances, and may even shade the soil a little from strong sun in the summer.  I'll paint the inside of the wood panels white to reflect light, and the outside dark to absorb heat.

Hopefully, with this method, I should have a few panes of glass left over as spares without having to spend very much money!  My local builder's merchant is cutting a sheet of 10x8 4mm ply into 20 24" squares for £12 - can't say fairer than that, really!

xx
Flaming pests

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 13, 2013, 17:26
by ANHBUC
xx
Flaming helicopters!!

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2017, 23:25
by viettaclark
xx
new greenhouses ????

Started by veggies on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 17:25
by veggies
xx
can greenhouses be too hot?

Started by chicken on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 21:04
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 39 queries.