free compost from council

• 21 Replies

bonfire

Re: free compost from council
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 00:06 »
Look on your Council website and contact them direct. I think you'll find Plymouth refer you to commercial producers - it's a pity but free services are exceptions now.

As for rates going up and services down. It costs money for a Council to collect sort and process compost. I don't mind paying my way and I don't particularly want my pastimes subsidised when there are so many other calls on Council tax funds. My allotment from Lewes Town Council is fantastic value and I get brilliant service from the people I deal with there so I am not going to join in any moaning.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 10:52 »
I guess if it is really treated with high heat it should be fine.  Good value then.  The only way one would know if it is any good is to try it.

I don't think that temperature is enough.

Chemicals like Clopyralid (present in Verdone Extra) specifically say "Do not compost; do not put in council composting bins". I struggle to believe that 100% of the Great British Public will honour that requirement.

Clopyralid is related to aminopyralid  - which can survive a journey through a ruminants' belly, or a compost heap, and go on to kill again-and-again-and-again :(

kristen is right. It's not just some of the weedkillers that are unaffected by heat treatment, people throw all sorts of other chemicles in. An aquaintence of mine killed his leylandii by pouring diesel all over them then, a week at a time, cut each plant up and put it in the collection bin. He didn't care about the ground as he was going to flag it. Who knows what else goes in? I don't want to risk contaminating my plot, that's why I stay away from it.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

PlymouthMaid

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 16:36 »
No, pretty sure that Plymouth doesn't give free compost or much of free anything else for that matter.

sclarke624

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 17:43 »
trying to search the web to see if my local council offer free compost but cant seem to find anything is it something they do ?

They are out in force sweeping leaves up now they can be used was gonna try and see if I could aquire some of these !!

I know compost from the council sounds good but when I had it once it had glass in it bits of plastic pots, plastic bag bits and  all sorts.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

nickthegreek

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 19:55 »
Look on your Council website and contact them direct. I think you'll find Plymouth refer you to commercial producers - it's a pity but free services are exceptions now.

As for rates going up and services down. It costs money for a Council to collect sort and process compost. I don't mind paying my way and I don't particularly want my pastimes subsidised when there are so many other calls on Council tax funds. My allotment from Lewes Town Council is fantastic value and I get brilliant service from the people I deal with there so I am not going to join in any moaning.

understand totally and agree with you 100% but I could of sworn that years ago I can remember them giving it away in a big carpark in the centre of plymouth they give wood chippings "mulch" away on certain days that I do know..

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 12:32 »
My local CC sell the organic compost loose ( by the tonne ) £50 delivered to thr plot .

Alby
wish I was a cat

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 23:30 »
Our council operates a Garden Waste Collection Service fortnightly via large brown wheelie bins; after the brown waste is processed the surplus is offered free. Now in no way is this compost, it is a carbon rich humus with no nutrient value intended for use as a mulch or as a soil improver, and by golly used as such it is brilliant!
Hertfordshire is clay and flint :mad:
this stuff breaks the soil up beautifully and turns the clay soil dark and manageable. :)
This material used to be delivered by our council to our allotments free, but as so often happens rising costs have curtailed this service; however I am more than happy to go and shrink their heap. ;)
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

xx
Council Compost

Started by Scullion on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 20:04
by bailey
xx
Council compost

Started by luckypurplebutterfly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 01:27
by muntjac
xx
Council compost. Anyone using it?

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 15:48
by lovemyveg
xx
Compost Bin For £5 From My Council

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 21:48
by Little Miss Muffet

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 39 queries.