pizza bases

• 42 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: pizza bases
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 11:33 »
I like the look of that - where's the jealous smiley  ;)

Lardman

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 12:58 »
I think there should be a law against posting kitchen gadget ideas ! Especially as the pizza I did the other night had a soggy bottom which Im sure a gadget would cure !

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 13:03 »
I so rarely have anything I can add to kitchen gadget ideas that this one has me all *smugface*.  :D

It is genius - rarely ordered a pizza since we got it so I think it's more than paid for itself.

jaydig

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 14:01 »
I wish I could find a gadget to cure my saggy bottom!  Ohhh, sorry! - I must go to specsavers, you said SOGGY bottom - thank goodness I don't have one of those.

LotuSeed

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 16:42 »

Lardman,
Have you tried using a pizza stone? I can't stand soggy bottomed pizzas (blech!) I cook my bases before I top them, whether I'm freezing them or not and that seems to keep the dreaded sogginess at bay. Occasionally I'll get a frozen store-bought one that will end up on the squishy side, so I'll slide the pizza off the cooking tray and directly onto my oven rack and let it cook longer. (I always have to remind myself to put a sheet of foil on the rack below it unless I want the bottom of my oven to be "Burnt Cheese City" lol

Surbie
I've never seen one of those before. That's a pretty cool gadget!

Jaydig
Hilarious!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Steveharford

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 16:45 »
Youve got me interested too now Surbie. Ive just looked at it and others similar so now I have a couple of questions if you dont mind: Does it have a turntable? Some reviews of ones which dont have, say there are hot spots which cause scorching. Also, can It do deep pan? I like thin personally but would like the option.Would it also be good for chapatis?Many thanks SteveH

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 17:00 »
The main issue with it is I am not sure kids could/should use it unsupervised. It gets amazingly hot and an oven glove is a good idea if you're making loads.

Mine doesn't have noticeable hotspots, nor a turntable. We've had it 2-3 years. It successfully does both deepish pan and thin bases - I don't like thick bases so I haven't tried really deep ones. If you overload the pizza or put the filling too near the edges it will run off and burn on the stone. If you have a smoke alarm, at that point you might want to take the batteries out.

Do you hold chapatis down in the pan when you toast the dough? Our piadinas go a bit bubbly in the pizza oven so I still do them in a flat pan.

Steveharford

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 19:15 »
Thanks for that surbie. Sounds like it might be just the job. Chapatis are just laid flat as a rule so I would guess they would be ok. It is now on my xxxxx list

Mrs Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 21:22 »
OOOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOOO.  :ohmy: A kitchen gadget.  And it looks really good.

Stand away from the 'one click order' on Amazon Mrs Bee. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

And there I was with a home tandoor on my Winter festival list. Do you think the man in red will run  to both. :unsure: ::)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 21:33 »
How are they in the Halogen oven. think i'll have to try that next
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

bravemurphy

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 21:46 »
I've got one of these,

I want one of them too

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 08:19 »
Last nights attempt, bread maker dough (50:50 White & Spelt), 3 portions from 1lb dough (note to self, 4 portions next time), oven on 240 (note to self: correct temp but thinner dough needed, see note 1). Homemade pizza topping (awesome). Now a pizza stone you say….

LotuSeed

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 19:08 »
Last nights attempt, bread maker dough (50:50 White & Spelt), 3 portions from 1lb dough (note to self, 4 portions next time), oven on 240 (note to self: correct temp but thinner dough needed, see note 1). Homemade pizza topping (awesome). Now a pizza stone you say….

That looks awesome! Yeah until I have the time to build a brick oven in my backyard, I think I'll settle for a pizza stone :). (They're super cheap and easy to store)
I bottled lots of pizza sauce this year so somehow I'll use that in my argument for getting the hubs to help me build that oven next summer :tongue2:

Lardman

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 19:09 »
Ran out of mozzarella yesterday but it still passed muster.  (yes I know I need to clean the chopping board!) 

I've used white bread flour in the machine, with a goodly amount of oregano. Dough made last night and left over night in the fridge, stretched and flung. Im getting a good crispy bottom and decent airy crust now. I need to sort out the topping though - it's a little too tomato if you know what I mean  :unsure: .
mmmm_pizza.jpg

LotuSeed

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 19:28 »
That looks delicious too! I like adding oregano to my dough as well, and sometimes rosemary. I put olive oil on the crust and spring sea salt on it. Yum!

xx
Homemade Pizza

Started by Elcie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 19:44
by mumofstig
xx
Building a better pizza.

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 22:05
by Lardman
xx
Pizza Stones

Started by Yabba on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

30 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 22:44
by Ice
xx
Gluten free pizza

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 19:10
by chris23005

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 39 queries.