shallots

• 7 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
shallots
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:22 »
Hi All,

Ive planted garlic, onions and shallots which are all coming up nicely.  However the shallots appear to be coming up in bunches, there are several shoots coming up from each shallot planted.  Is this normal and are they growing a bunch iof shallots down there.  Also when will I know if they are ready for  harvesting?

Many thanks for  any help, this is my first time growing shallots and garlic.

jools

gillie

Re: shallots
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:28 »
Yes, this is normal, and yes, they will grow a 'bunch of shallots'.

Towards the end of the summer the tops will turn brown and die down.  When this has happened you can lift your shallots, dry them in the sun and then store them.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:32 »
Thanks very much that now makes sense.
x

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 15:25 »
If you want spring onions before the ones planted from seed are ready, you can lift shallots early, before the bulbs get to big. 

ferreter51

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 07:44 »
I planted my shallots about a month ago, but so far only one set has sprouted and I am getting a bit worried.  As posted in another thread I have had trouble with a neighbour's chickens digging up anything I planted to get at any food underneath, but I covered the shallot sets with well-anchored wire mesh and I know they have not been disturbed.  Should I wait and hope or should I try to buy some more sets and plant those in a different place?

prakash_mib

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 08:20 »
I planted my shallots about a month ago, but so far only one set has sprouted and I am getting a bit worried.  As posted in another thread I have had trouble with a neighbour's chickens digging up anything I planted to get at any food underneath, but I covered the shallot sets with well-anchored wire mesh and I know they have not been disturbed.  Should I wait and hope or should I try to buy some more sets and plant those in a different place?
they take a bit of time to sprout. First thing they do is send out roots. Did you buried the whole shallot? the advice is to leave the very top of the top (pointy bit) visible. I did it that way so that I know it is still in place. a slight disturbance of one of the shallots will give you an idea of what they are doing. but I would wait if I havent seen any shallots pulled out on the plot and those shallots were from a good source of seed producers.  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

ferreter51

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:12 »
they take a bit of time to sprout. First thing they do is send out roots. Did you buried the whole shallot? the advice is to leave the very top of the top (pointy bit) visible. I did it that way so that I know it is still in place. a slight disturbance of one of the shallots will give you an idea of what they are doing. but I would wait if I havent seen any shallots pulled out on the plot and those shallots were from a good source of seed producers.  :)

The shallots are from the same supplier I use every year and they have always cropped well.  I will give them another two weeks before I start to panic, I think.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:38 »
I planted 2 different types on 24/2 and they are only really starting to show now, which is more or less par for the course.

As long as they are still physically there ( :ohmy:) and not showing signs of rotting off I'm sure they'll be fine (as Prakash said if you gently wobble one you should be able to feel that it has anchored itself into the soil.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Shallots

Started by jim1972 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 17:23
by Wiltshire Worms
xx
Shallots

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 02:34
by m1ckz
xx
shallots

Started by matty42 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 03, 2008, 09:10
by compostqueen
xx
Shallots

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 15:55
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 39 queries.