Child friendly.

• 8 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Child friendly.
« on: March 17, 2011, 18:04 »
My son (aged 6) has just come home from the school cookery club with the most amazing cheese scones I have ever eaten. Really, really yummy!

We make basic cakes, biscuits and things like pizza together quite often but I am starting to wonder if he needs a little challenge. He has told us more than a few time he wants to be like Jamie Oliver, I don't want to hold him back as it may turn out that cooking really is what he wants to do in the future. Any idea's on what I should get him to cook next?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Child friendly.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 19:00 »
A little burger (any meat) and simple salad? Fish fingers? Does he eat and enjoy things like that?

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 19:05 »
carry on down the floury route and start him on pastry -  for a nice pie ;)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 19:20 »
Let him get involved in everything you cook - there's always something little ones can do - and start planning your retirement from the kitchen!!
ManicMum

Junie

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 22:21 »
I have a ready steady cook for kids book, which my children loved . It does all sorts, even a lovely creamy curry - there are some things he could do on his own too.
For the preparation, Pampered Chef do a knife for children which cuts through things quite well but does not cut skin, it is certainly good for teaching cutting techniques ready to get onto the sharper ones.
Otherwise - anything he enjoys eating ( or licking the bowl of ) and anything that you produce in the garden - you may get some very odd combinations, but let him use his imagination. 

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 13:59 »
I always vowed when my 2 boys were small that there would be 2 things that I would make sure thay were capable of doing as adults 1) to be able to iron and 2) to cook! My son's have always loved to cook and the secret is to let them - sounds obvious but sometimes it does take forever to get food on the table but the pride they have makes it worthwhile. We've got Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food book which is brilliant for basics and then follows on with variations. My elder son always used to cook Saturday evening dinner - he's a bit bigger now and off out with friends but by letting him get on with it and me helping if needed he's become really capable, and I know when he leaves home he'll be able to produce a good meal (and iron a shirt for work!!!). Happy cooking. Jude.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:51 »
I got my hands on a Pampered Chef knife Junie  ;)
Well my son cooked the roast dinner yesterday (with me watching like a hawk!) :lol: He was very pleased with himself and has claimed next Sunday to cook again.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 08:54 »
wow brilliant, this is definitely something that needs as much encouragement as possible  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 09:43 »
soda bread is easy, my kids love making it. The earlier kids get involved in the kitchen, the better it is. Does your son make his own lunches for school? Maybe you could experiment with pastas, couscous, rice with assorted healthy toppings and so on?
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

xx
Some friendly cooking advice?

Started by Riala on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post December 18, 2008, 22:33
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 39 queries.