red shank

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

red shank
« on: October 18, 2012, 14:06 »

with this years wet season on our mostly heavy ground the only thing that has been growing very well is the red-shank weed

at first i thought the wet weather had even made that impossible to germinate no such luck up it came when the weather started to get a bit better like mustard and cress with prolific seed heads to scatter seed onto the ground for next year :ohmy:

this weed i have to say has got me completely snookered i know there are those on this site that are anti- spray but it looks like that mite be the only solution to rid me of this pesky weed  >:(

i did notice where i had sprayed some ground 2years ago there seemed to be no emergence  of the red shank but i can't remember what i sprayed it with :unsure:

i assume red shank lies dormant in the ground until the conditions are rite for it to germinate it seems to appear around June although it was quite a bit later this season

so whats the best solution to rid me of this dreaded weed  :mad:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: red shank
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 14:13 »
Some very good advice here:

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=18

It says seeds can persist in the soil for 45 years  :ohmy: but the leaves are rich in vit. C and edible  :D but in small quantities due to the presence of oxalic acid.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

rowlandwells

Re: red shank
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 18:59 »
 many thanks arugula
  have noted  your repies i have looked on that site it seems that it could be task to eradicate this weed i think the only way will be a long process as it lays dormant in the ground

but it looks like a succession of spraying will be the only solution will try roundup next season when it emerges

cheers RW

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 40 queries.