wood ash

• 5 Replies

rowlandwells

wood ash
« on: October 17, 2017, 21:33 »
having a wood burner and burning only wood I save the wood ash then broadcast  it on my onion bed in the spring as I believe wood ash contains  potash

can anyone tell me if wood ash would be beneficial for any other plants I usually use a NPK fertilizer and notro fert for my brassicas with no problems

I've never used coal ash on the ground as I understand it has no benefits for the grounds :unsure:

booklady

Re: wood ash
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 00:27 »
I have put wood ash on the base of my fig tree for the last 15 years.  It's now enormous, with at least two harvests a year. I put it around berry and currant bushes too, all giving me great fruit. I mulch with rabbit droppings and straw too. I just followed what my French neighbours did to be honest, and these old country folk don't miss a trick!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:48 »
The chemical composition of wood ash varies somewhat with the type of wood it was produced from, but generally it's high in calcium, fairly high in potassium, and also contains useful amounts of magnesium and other trace elements.

Most of these salts are either oxides, carbonates or hydroxides, so as such it's quite alkaline, and shouldn't be used on lime-hating plants or where your soil pH is already higher than it should be (which is around neutral for most plants.)

Most of the elements in wood ash are in a quite soluble form, so it should be stored dry before use to prevent leaching away of the valuable nutrients.

Coal ash is much more likely to be contaminated with heavy metals such as mercury, and other unwelcome elements like arsenic -  best avoided in the garden.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 21:18 »
Several years ago a professional grower told me it was good for soft fruit and I now give all my bushes/canes a top dressing in early spring with excellent results. As JayG says, it is alkaline so don't overdo it as most soft fruit prefers a soil slightly on the acid side of neutral.

booklady

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 00:03 »
Several years ago a professional grower told me it was good for soft fruit and I now give all my bushes/canes a top dressing in early spring with excellent results. As JayG says, it is alkaline so don't overdo it as most soft fruit prefers a soil slightly on the acid side of neutral.

Yes, our soil is slightly acidic, hence the wood ash is beneficial, especially for the soft fruit.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 18:58 »
thanks all for that advise much appreciated RW :)

xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7
xx
Wood Ash

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 21:56
by solway cropper
xx
wood ash

Started by dustcartkev on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 26, 2013, 20:52
by gremlin
xx
Wood ash

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 01, 2012, 23:09
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 35 queries.