It's here and I've got it

• 19 Replies

viettaclark

It's here and I've got it
« on: August 04, 2017, 22:47 »
Ooooo yes.....the dreaded blight has hit my outside tomatoes with a bang. Wasn't there two days ago. Now I must cut all the reasonably sized fruits and put indoors somewhere sunny (??) tomorrow morning. I only did four trusses and cut out lots of lower leaves for ventilation. There are loads of tiny fruits at the top so shall leave them to any fate that may befall them. Only been picking for two weeks.
I've never had it this early...... >:( :mad: :( :wub:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: It's here and I've got it
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 22:56 »
Bad luck, I noticed some on the allotments today - a shame as they were covered with fruit  :(

I don't grow toms outside any more, because, it is just so disheartening to see them ruined through no fault of your own.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 02:02 »
Oh bad luck, it spreads so quickly when it hits though doesn't it, hope you can save a few & they ripen. It is rather soul destroying
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 09:01 »
Often the green fruit is infected and this shows as it begins to ripen, so if that happens with a couple may be best to cook the others before they succumb

Hope that doesn't happen, but best to have a plan
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 18:22 »
Sorry to hear that.I had to do the same 2 weeks ago, but not 2 downhearted as they were spare plants I put up the allottment.
My greenhouse ones are just beginning to ripen off now

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 19:15 »
I have turned from a few days away to the news that neighbours have had to dispose of their blighted tomatoes. One of my plants is infected and has been dug up. Am hoping the rest will be ok. I did spray them two weeks ago.

victoria park

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 20:23 »
A few of my reddening gardeners delight in the garden just might have a touch, but not quite sure. They don't half seem to cop it quick if it's around, quicker than any others. Up on the plot, the outside sungold are okish and the cwimson cwush are looking well immortal. It's definitely been a week of blight weather.

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 12:58 »
Bad luck, some people on our site seem to see it as a badge of honour, telling everyone who will listen and then leaving the plants and potato haulms as they are to spread the misery to other plots even quicker :mad:
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 22:32 »
Today was our turn... blighted tomatoes  :( :( :(

Four plants with blackish/brown stems and browning marks on some fruit.

Brought the green unmarked fruit home (chutney with apples tomorrow), removed the affected growth from the site, brought the secateurs home to disinfect, didn't go in the polytunnel to try to avoid any spores coming in on my hands or clothes.

This'll test the Crimson Crushes alright

viettaclark

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 23:50 »
I manage quite well spreading the green fruits on racks and sills by the windows then watching to see if any show signs and removing post haste. Eventually all the fruits (even the little ones) ripen and I bag and freeze as they do. Shouldn't have to chuck too many as I caught it very quickly. I'm getting quite experienced at this early blight catastrophe stuff.
Flavour is obviously not so good but ok for my cooking and chutney.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 08:28 »
I manage quite well spreading the green fruits on racks and sills by the windows then watching to see if any show signs and removing post haste. Eventually all the fruits (even the little ones) ripen and I bag and freeze as they do. Shouldn't have to chuck too many as I caught it very quickly. I'm getting quite experienced at this early blight catastrophe stuff.
Flavour is obviously not so good but ok for my cooking and chutney.

Good to know! If the rain eases up I shall be going down to check the plants in the tunnel later

victoria park

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 15:26 »
Definitely confirmed today blight on my "sacrificial" outside sungolds. The usual black spots on leaves to complement the other earlier signs. Have taken off the affected leaves and will nurse them for a few days as an experiment. I'm not the only one on the plot and it was bound to happen in this rain, mizzle and murk. Happy to report the outside cwimson cwush are a perfect picture of health and have already harvested some. Looking forward to a big crop for sauces from my now 14 plants. Some are monsters, but then I'm used to growing mamby pamby cherry toms in my greenhouse. The toms at home are still clear.

jambop

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 20:02 »
There is an easy way to avoid this blight spray the plants occasionally with Bordeaux mix. I use it down here and it really does the job. It does not need to be used to excess just when required.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 20:36 »
There is an easy way to avoid this blight spray the plants occasionally with Bordeaux mix. I use it down here and it really does the job. It does not need to be used to excess just when required.

Bordeaux mixture has had its approval withdrawn and it is no longer for sale, so its not an option we would encourage people to use on this forum.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 20:44 »
Bordeaux mix was banned by the EU in 2014, so we can't recommend its use on this Forum.

Up to you whether you still wish to use it of course.

Snap NS

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 39 queries.