How much?!

• 5 Replies

Mum2mj

How much?!
« on: July 25, 2017, 16:07 »
Went to garden centre to buy a clematis armandii Apple blossom and it was £14 for a tired looking plant.  Googling when I got home (plantless!) They all seem to be pricey - why?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: How much?!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 17:48 »
You pay for the time it takes to propagate the plant, grow it on to saleable size and then transport it to where it is being sold, the overheads of the GC etc including staff wages. All adds up to quite a lot

if you know anyone with a C.armandii, ask if you can have some cuttings
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mum2mj

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 14:08 »
I can understand that, but their average clematis' (same size) are around the £7/£8 mark, just wondered why Armandii was so much more.  I don't know anyone that has one unfortunately, might have to go back again  :unsure:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 19:40 »
Armandii are generally pretty expensive to buy in and so the retail price is always higher than the general ones.

The growers have them all ready very early on in the year, so anything left in the garden centre now will be old stock and looking pretty tired.   I would either hang on and see if it gets marked down - a lot of centres clear their climber benches come the autumn - or wait until the new stock is in next year  ;)

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 21:51 »
Thanks new shoot will hang on for a bit then

jezza

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 23:15 »
hi if ever you can get to the Four Oaks trade show at Holmes chapel  near Manchester you will be amazed at the prices the Dutch plant suppliers are there I was looking for some box balls the price was  8 for £28 retailing at £32 each I got a red twisted Hazel for £4.50 retail £14.oo. If a garden centre produces its own plants  the prices will be high  most  garden centres buy cheap and sell high   jezza

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 36 queries.