mite, lice, flea residue

• 4 Replies

upert

• Experienced Member
mite, lice, flea residue
« on: June 22, 2017, 18:19 »
I treated my chickens for mites that had left eggs (I assume) at the vase of some feathers. I used ivermectin and louse powder. The muck at the bottom of the feathers are still there. I cut it off with scissors.

Now, is this 'muck' inert? Could it be the detritus of an infestation of mites/lice? Should i remove it? and how?

I cleaned the coop and the run four times with a shot of hillfooter's diatom slurry, jeyes fluid and bleach at vrious times in a week after dosing the birds.

One bird had a bit of pooh on it's bum yet otherwise looks pretty good. I have to admit I assumed they were OK after I thoroughly treated them, and the whole run, with several different methods. I went overkill for the best, you see. Yet this 'muck' is still there. Couldn't see any living mite/louse/flea.

Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: mite, lice, flea residue
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 11:23 »
The only way you could remove it is by plucking the feathers.  I had a louse problem on my birds years ago and they had eggs on their feathers as you describe.  Hillfooter advised me to use frontline which worked a treat.

It isn't licensed for chickens, so your choice on this.  PM me if you want more details  :)

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 14:11 »
Thanks. I did start removing some with scissors. I wonder if soap and water might have an effect.

I used Frontline. I now have invemectin.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 14:35 »
Mine cleared themselves, but no harm in trying soap and water.  They may even enjoy a bath.  I have bathed the rear ends on a few of mine for various reasons, some took to it, some screamed blue murder.  Do it early on so they have time to fully dry off before they roost and expect accusing glares and a lot of grumbling for the rest of the day.

Lice eggs can take up to 3 weeks to hatch, so bear that in mind when applying medication.  I don't think you could rely on washing off any debris to ensure you got every last one.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 19:02 »
The chickens have been treated with lice powder, Frontline, petroleum jelly on their scaley legs and then vegetable oil and scaley leg cream on their legs. The coop was cleaned with bleach, jeyes fluid and diatom slurry over the course of a week and had some crawling insect powder on the perches (containing permethrin). The run had dilute jeyes fluid and latterly the woodchip removed and replaced (and jeyed again).

They've also been flubenveted.

Now I've used ivermectin on them and will do again in 3 weeks as a preventative.

My neighbour who keeps chickens has done none of this so it wouldn't surprise me if mine became reinfected again. Small wild birds have found a way into my run as my netted roof has come adrift as the clematis and honeysuckle I planted around the run has raised it.

Otherwise things are going OK. I'm getting too many eggs though.

xx
red mite and lice

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 20:34
by New shoot
xx
RED MITE AND LICE

Started by broodyhen on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 21:26
by 73Westboy
xx
Mite & Lice

Started by derekwendy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 10:15
by grumpydad
xx
red mite or lice?

Started by gingerplant on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 16:54
by dizzylizzie

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 34 queries.