breadseed poppy?

• 9 Replies

Lardman

breadseed poppy?
« on: June 20, 2017, 10:27 »
Self seeded - I assume from next-door's bird seed.

Other than being pretty is it of any practical use ? Do I need millions of flowers to have enough seed to make a loaf?
poppy - Copy.jpg

geordiekev

Re: breadseed poppy?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 13:53 »
There was a program on TV a few weeks back, a man had eaten some poppy seed bread, he had a random drug test at work. it was found that he had residual morphine/heroin in his urine/blood. Unknowingly. He was sacked from his job. His employers were not willing to believe that he had eaten poppy seed bread to have such a reading. One of the TV shows' presenters also did the same thing and was also found to have the same drugs in her urine/blood. Doesn't make you high just leaves residuals in your blood and urine.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 18:05 »
That's very interesting geordiekev. We use our home grown poppy seeds to top bread rolls and happily give them to the grandchildren to eat.

Now I wonder if this is perhaps a bit irresponsible
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 22:24 »
I think there is a certain edible poppy seed, unfortunately I don't know which one
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

gobs

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 22:39 »
The white flowered ones are not allowed to be grown, legally, anything else goes, last I looked.

You are all right, Pieman, a load of seeds in one pod, more than one loaf per one. For poppy seed pasta, you need a few more pods.

"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 23:30 »
There was a program on TV a few weeks back, a man had eaten some poppy seed bread, he had a random drug test at work. it was found that he had residual morphine/heroin in his urine/blood. Unknowingly. He was sacked from his job. His employers were not willing to believe that he had eaten poppy seed bread to have such a reading. One of the TV shows' presenters also did the same thing and was also found to have the same drugs in her urine/blood. Doesn't make you high just leaves residuals in your blood and urine.

I wonder. Could you link to this show, perhaps?

And at what work do you you get random drug tests?

I would not believe either, that from eating a poppy seed bread you would get high on morphine. I think, it's simply gibberish.

geordiekev

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:23 »
Never said you got high on morphine, there were amounts in blood/urine which implied that drugs were consumed by that person. The readings were small but enough for that person to be dismissed. I think it was on Gayle Hunnicuts program.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 14:46 »
I'll leave them to dry and use the seeds in the kitchen then but if it's going to drop seeds all over the place it's coming out - I've got enough weeds thank-you  :mad:

At least they are easy to pull out!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 16:31 by sunshineband »

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 21:05 »

I wonder. Could you link to this show, perhaps?

And at what work do you you get random drug tests?

I would not believe either, that from eating a poppy seed bread you would get high on morphine. I think, it's simply gibberish.
This is the report.
  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/29/angela-rippon-tested-positive-opiates-eating-poppy-seed-bread/

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 15:10 »
Thank you for that, AnneB

I think I shall carry on as before, using our own poppy seed from time to time. We do have plenty of it ....

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 36 queries.